This mung bean healthy salad is a delicious, complete, and healthy dish that satiates you for hours. You'll love this mung bean recipe as it's easy, quick and very simple, a make-ahead salad recipe...
Hi my dear friend, how are you doing? I hope you have a bag of mung bean in your pantry, I am here to share with you a super simple yet delicious mung bean recipe.
The end of the year holidays are here in a few, and I am thinking about you.
You obviously will need some light meal after Christmas and New year (can't believe that the year is ending already).
This mung bean salad is a light meal that you can enjoy as a lunch or dinner. You can serve it as a side dish but girl, it's already filling by itself.
Does mung beans need to be soaked
Not necessarily, you can just boil your dry mung beans.
However, prefer soaking the mung beans overnight or at least for 10 hours so that you can reduce the anti-nutrients that can cause some digestion issues.
Note that you can also soak mung beans for 24 hrs (rinse them every 12 hrs) for them to germinate.
Soaking also softens the mung beans thus shortening the cooking time.
Soaked mung beans cook rather fast, so don't walk away or start scrolling Insta lol.
How to cook mung beans
Mung beans are easy to cook, unlike most lentils, if cooked well, mung beans will hold well after cooking.
- Rinse a 1 cup soaked mung beans
- In a saucepan, bring some grated garlic and ginger, and heat them. You can add some fresh turmeric too to enhance the anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add the mung beans and cover them with 2 cups of boiling water, cover and simmer till tender, about 25 mins.
- The liquid will almost be fully absorbed during cooking, so you don't have to drain mung beans as that is draining the minerals in your sink lol.
After cooking the mung beans, let them cool before adding herbs and raisins vinaigrette. The ideal is to cook mung beans the day before then compose the mung beans health salad just before it's time to eat.
What you'll love about mung bean recipe
- It's delicious with a gamut of flavors and textures
- It's easy and simple to make
- It has proteins, fiber, minerals, and healthy carbs
- You can make as meal prep and enjoy the salad for several days
There you go, a mung bean recipe to enjoy any time of the year.
Please do share this mung bean recipe and pin it for the future. I'd love to read your comments, please do let me know how you find this salad recipe.
As always, I love you, Githu.
You've more healthy salads here
- Creamy butter beans cucumber salad recipe
- Avocado cucumber salad with melon
- Crunch apple salad with celery and avocado
- Mandarin orange with parsnip recipe
- Easy kale salad with quinoa & apples
- Fall healthy salad for weight loss
- Smoky cauliflower potato salad
- Veggie lettuce wraps
- Healthy herby quinoa salad
- The best & easy potato salad
- Healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad
- Red cabbage recipe with beets & orange
- A kale salad with sun-dried tomatoes
Mung bean healthy salad
- 1 cup dry mung bean
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric
- 1 cup boiling water
- pinch of salt
- 1 a long branch of celery with leaves
- a small piece of fresh hot pepper (I used cayenne)
- 1 cup mixed herbs; cilantro, mint, thyme, etc...
- 2 tablespoon raisins vinaigrette
- some ground black pepper
- Clean your mung beans and soak them for at least 10 hrs in 3 cups cold water
- In a small pan add minced ginger, garlic, and turmeric and cook for about 2 mins at medium-low heat
- Add rinsed soaked mung beans, add salt and mix well, increase the heat to medium-high
- Add the boiling water, cover and simmer till cooked, about 10 mins, the mung beans should remain firm
- During that time dice the celery, the herbs, & pepper
- You'll have some leftover of the cooking water, don't drain.
- Leave the mung beans in an open-air for them to cool down
- Once the beans have cooled mix them with the rest of the ingredients and mix gently. Here is raisins vinaigrette recipe
- Taste to adjust the seasoning, and serve as a salad or as a side dish. Enjoy
- Please do pin this recipe, leave a comment if you like/try this recipe