The best & easy potato salad is a healthy version of classic potato salad. This healthy salad uses dry and fresh herbs to add nutritional value and to enhance the flavors. This salad with no mayo sauce is ideal for weight-loss. Discover below the sauce that folds this salad into deliciousness.
Just getting back to a busy life with this best & easy potato salad after a week break for the Easter holiday.
I happened to spend time with my brother with his lovely family, I had not sat with my bro for a talk for the last 20 yrs, am so grateful to have spent time together.
We never made potato salads back in Kenya, and when I came to France, I remember eating very cold potato salads loaded with mayo. Something that I did not really appreciate.
It also happened that, I started going on diets during those years and guess what potatoes have always been preached to be bad as they're high in calories.
So I really avoided potatoes until last year when I started eating the anti-inflammatory diet.
So to say, potato salads are something totally new that I am adventuring on, I created the best & easy potato salad recipe and I love it. I wanted something really healthy with green veggies. I am sure you'll love this recipe if you're looking for a healthy potato salad.
How to make this potato salad
This easy salad is simple to make, it doesn't call for many ingredients
- Get starchy potatoes and boil them in their skin, this will reduce the loss of mineral, besides the potato skin has a lot of dietary fiber.
- Add herbs of your choice to cook the potatoes
- The cooking time will depend on the size and the type of potatoes
- After boiling the potatoes, I left them for 4 hours soaking in the cooking water, this is to let them infuse the aromas from the spices. This step is optional but if you've time ahead of you, it's definitely something you should try.
- Cut the potatoes in bite sizes and chop your favorite fresh herbs
- Add fresh celery leaves and some radishes
- In a bowl bring all the ingredients and fold this easy salad together
You can use celery stalk instead of leaves especially if fresh celery isn't available, so feel free to make this salad as beautiful, healthy and nutritious as you can.
No Mayo sauce for a potato salad recipe
- Get a fruity vinegar with some fruit pulps if possible
- Take a half well-cooked potato and mash it with a folk
- Add vinegar, oil, salt and whisk to make a creamy sauce
- If you have some mustard sauce, go on add some
- Add the sauce on the prepared potatoes and herbs, fold them gently
What's great with this potato salad is the possibility to pack it as lunch if you're an office girl, perfect for picnics and surely one of the best potato salads to go for during summer.
This healthy salad is your best bet if you want to eat a potato salad in your weight loss diet. It's healthy without extra calories that would compromise your weight loss.
Easy potato salad is also loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, add fresh herbs, radishes and celery make this homemade potato salad a healthy healing meal.
If you make this salad please leave a comment below, I'd love to know how you made yours, do share this recipe, please.
My love to you and thank you for reading, Githu.
Check on these healthy salads
- Smoky cauliflower potato salad
- Healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad
- Creamy butter beans cucumber salad
- Vegan romaine lettuce wrap
- Summer cauliflower rice
- Marinated kale bowl with smoky chickpeas
- Fresh apricot quinoa salad
The best and easy potato salad
- 1 tbsp mix of your favorite dry herbs and seeds or/and spices
- few branches of a fresh herbs of your choice, sauge, rosemary
- 5 medium potatoes
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper of your choice
- piece of ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- handful of radishes
- handful of celery leaves
- bunch of scallions ( green onions)
- some few fresh mint
- ½ cooked potato
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vinegar ( if you've a fruit vinegar it will be great)
- pinch of salt
- some black pepper
- In a medium saucepan bring all your dry herbs, seeds, fresh herbs, pepper, and salt. Add your starchy potatoes after cleaning them.
- Cover with cold water and set to boil at high heat till cooked. About 15 mins if small size potatoes
- Check if your potatoes are cooked, this depends on the sauce of your heat, the size of your potatoes, and the firmness of your potatoes.
- You can leave the potatoes to cool in the cooking water to infuse all the aroma for an hour or so, if not, drain the cooking water and fill the saucepan with cold water to stop the cooking and to cool the potatoes
- Dice ginger and garlic very finely, chop the rest of the veggies and bring them in a large bowl and mix them together.
- Cut the potatoes with their skin on into bite-sizes then add them in the bowl with veggies
- Pour the sauce on top and mix gently.
- Taste to adjust the seasoning, Enjoy your healthy potato salad
- Please do share this recipe.
No Mayo potato sauce
- Take one of the cooked potatoes, peel it and mash it with a folk
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, black pepper and salt
- Mix well and if the sauce is thick add some few spoonful of water till you get a smooth creamy sauce
- For a quick preparation, prefer small size potatoes to big ones.
- Choose starchy potatoes as they are fast to cook and will yield a creamy patato salad
- You can leave your potatoes to soak up the flavors for an hour or so.
- Besides, you can decide on eating it warm by skipping the soaking process.
- Make a batch and store in the fridge upto 4 days.