Looking for a summer sweet potato salad that's healthy, low-carb, delicious, simple and quick? This healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad checks all the boxes. It's vegan, nut-free, with just a few ingredients
Imagine that it's burning hot out there, you haven't cooked for days now, and you've got that sweet potato in your kitchen that's almost calling your name, but you've no idea how to cook it! Let's make a healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad, my friend…
If it's very hot for you like here, then pan-roast your sweet potato at night to use it the following day. If on the other hand, you're in winter, (gosh! I don't like these two extremes) it's time to warm youself a bit…
When I was young back in Kenya, we used to bake sweet potatoes in hot ash in the evening to find them ready for breakfast. Something I miss a lot...
I grew up with white sweet potatoes, and I love them, they're soft and non-fibrous. I like the way they don't overwhelm the dishes and they can go with many veggies.
And did you know that sweet potatoes are healthy, and can help fight diseases?
This sweet potato salad is worthy of being a meal by itself, especially when it's very hot out there. It's deliciously sweet and filling. The perfect light meal you're looking for during summer.
To make this healthy sweet potato salad I opted for fresh lettuce, kind of butter lettuce but with small leaves (salanova lettuce). I love the dynamic of textures that both sweet potato and lettuce creates.
You can substitute the lettuce with fresh baby spinach.
Green banana salad dressing
- To serve this sweet potato salad I wanted a creamy dressing, that's easy to make and budget-friendly while it still remained vegan or totally plant-based.
- And guess what, the green banana cream matches perfectly with sweet potatoes here. You've got a green banana sauce recipe that's creamy and deliciously goood!
- I love the way this dressing or sauce adds flavor to this salad. I hope you'll love it because it's a good alternative to the dairy and for those avoiding nuts.
- You can omit some ingredients if you don't have everything in the house, like this sauce I made last night doesn't have turmeric and cilantro seeds... so feel free.
- But of course, you can use a creamy sauce of your choice, however, go for something healthy.
This sweet potato salad is very simple but please, don't hesitate to bring other flavors and textures, you can add toasted nuts and seeds for example...
As my daughter would say, "customize your sweet potato salad to your liking", how do you find that?
I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious healthy sweet potato salad.
Something to laugh at!
My daughter came in the room when I was taking photos of this pan-roasted sweet potato salad and offered to help, I didn't have much left to do so she asked if she could take a photo.
I handed her the camera and she continued shooting this healthy salad, it was an hour after that I realized that I had omitted to add the green banana sauce!!!
The salad had started to wither, but worse the sun was down the sky lol…
Have you ever pan-fried sweet potato before? Did you like them compared to an oven roasted?
Please do share your opinion by commenting here below. Don't go yet, press on the sharing button, thank you.
I love you, Githu
Healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad
- large pan
- large bowl
pan-roasted sweet potato
- 1 small-medium size sweet potato
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- thumb ginger
- 1 red onion ( I used fresh)
- a handful of butter lettuce leaves or other kind of lettuce
- 1 tbsp healthy oil
- some fresh chives
pan roasting sweet potato
- Heat a large pan
- Clean and tap dry your sweet potato
- Cut it into thin cube, don't peel it
- Lay the cubes in the hot pan, be careful on to burn yourself
- Cover the pan and let the sweet potatoes roast then turn them to roast on the other side
- Once roasted add salt, pepper and 1 tbsp of olive oil and mix
- Let them cool down before serving with lettuce
- Wash and prepare your lettuce as you do normally. Put the leaves in a large bowl
- Dice the garlic, onion and ginger, add them in the bowl
- Mix well
- Chop the chives or herbs of your choice
- If your sweet potatoes are cold already add them in the bowl, bring in the herbs
- Sprinkle with green banana sauce and mix again very gently.
- Serve and enjoy your pan roasted sweet potato salad
- Thank you for sharing and pinning the recipe.