Make this ultra flavorful healthy herby quinoa salad recipe! It's gorgeously delicious with different flavors and textures. A low-calorie summer salad that's easy to pack for lunch or picnics. This quinoa salad is light and fresh
When I first tasted this healthy herby quinoa salad recipe the first word that came in my mind was traveling! I even whispered it, I felt like being on a voyage of flavors and textures.
It's funny because when I Googled searching for a name that could inspire me, I landed by luck on tabouleh!
I read some few blogs and I understood that tabouleh is actually a middle east specialty… So I had traveled in my mind!
In the Middle East tabouleh is made with bulghur, but I found people substituting it with quinoa. This healthy herby quinoa salad is much close to tabouleh, even if I'd no idea I was making one.
Last Wednesday I bought a lot of herbs, I wanted cilantro but it wasn't available, so I opted for parsley which I should admit I am not great fun.
However, I eat it now and then because it's a very good source of vitamin C and holds other health & healing benefits.
So I bought also fresh mint and chives because I knew I couldn't stand parsley by itself. (sorry to parsley lovers)
And you know what! in this quinoa salad, you will not feel the parsley, the flavors of fresh mint, lemon and parsley create another umami taste over there that's sweet and tart at the same time…
This quinoa salad recipe is one of must-have take to a party or picnic salad. It will create excitement as people try to figure out what it is. It will catch many by surprise, every ingredient here is creating a dynamic of flavors and texture that keeps you wanting for more…
What is Quinoa?
- Quinoa is a seed that escaped extinction thanks to the high Andes mountains in South America. The Spanish men when they found that the Incans were venerating quinoa, (it was referred to as " the mother grain") they destroyed the cultivations and burnt it.
- Quinoa is high in nutritional value. It has all the 9 amino acids that are essential to humans, making its protein value close to that of milk.
- It's also rich in essential fatty acids and contains high concentrations of antioxidants.
- High in fiber, vitamin B complex, vitamins E and C. It also has minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Zinc, Copper, and Sodium.
- Due to its antioxidants, quinoa helps in reducing inflammation and also promoting gastrointestinal health. It has also shown its efficiency in reducing Cholesterol.
Though quinoa is costly compared to other grains, it's a seed that you can consider incorporating in your cooking now and then.
Quinoa is a fantastic salad base, since it's soft and doesn't have an over pronounced flavor, it can practically go with almost with anything.
This quinoa salad recipe is easy to make especially when you have some leftover of quinoa as this salad is best when cold.
Here is a step by step how to cook perfect quinoa
This isn't just another classic salad, you're eating to heal your body, and this quinoa salad has the best antioxidants to help you heal.
I hope you'll enjoy this quinoa salad as much as I did, please let me know by commenting here below. I'll be grateful if you shared this recipe, thanks.
Love you, Githu.
healthy herby quinoa salad recipe
- Chopping board
- large bowl
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small thumb ginger
- 1 green onion with roots
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1 cup chopped parsley, mint and chives
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 cup cooked cold quinoa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 lemon
- Dice the garlic and ginger together and bring them in a large bowl
- Dice the cucumber and the chili and put them in the bowl
- Chop the onion, white and green parts and add them in the bowl
- Chop the herbs and add in them in the bowl
- Finally add your quinoa, salt, oil and squeeze the lemon juice. see how to cook quinoa
- Fold everything slowly and perfectly well
- Serve immediately or leave the salad for 20-30 mins this will allow the flavors to mix up well and the result will be amazing!
- How did you love it? leave me a comment and share, please, thank you.