Are you looking for a veggie dinner treat? something that's healthy, easy, delicious, light, low-carbs and yet filling? These veggie lettuce wraps checks all those boxes. Loaded with nutrients they are an alternative to traditional tacos!
These lettuce wraps are a game-changer in the world of lettuce salads. They're very easy, simple, and versatile. You can enjoy different kinds of wraps in one meal.
Lettuce wraps can be one best way to use your leftover veggies. If you have some steamed potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, etc, you can easily add them together to create delicious veggie wraps.
These veggie lettuce wraps are fresh, low-carb, and they taste amazingly gooood! They'll keep you full, yes you read me right. Potatoes will give you healthy carbs, besides this salad is full of dietary fiber.
Making lettuce wraps is fun and playful if you're making these wraps for your family.
Clean the lettuce, prepare the potato filling in a bowl, and set your dinner or lunch table in a way that each person can spoon-fill the lettuce wraps by themselves.
My girl who normally eats ONLY the green parts of lettuce enjoyed playing around by filling these romaine boats by herself. I am sure you and yours will enjoy these vegetable wraps.
What you'll love about this salad is that you can prepare the filling in advance and just have everything put together at the last minute.
Can you imagine that you can have these lettuce wraps for a picnic? Just pack your potato filling then separately pack the lettuce leaves only to serve them once everyone has settled for the picnic, enjoy, you'll all love these lettuce tacos!
- I don't peel potatoes, especially when steaming them. Even though when dicing these potatoes the skin easily came off.
- Potato skin contains almost half of the dietary fiber of the potato.
- It holds some minerals like Iron, calcium, and Potassium with some vitamins Bs and C too.
- Potato skin together with the flesh will give you some antioxidants, especially when a potato has a colorful dark shade. I advise you to reconsider throwing the potato skin.
- It originated and commonly used in Mediterranean and North African cuisines.
- Though it's not the "super salad" when it comes to lettuce's nutrition. It's, however, an excellent source of vitamin K, A, and C respectively.
- It will provide you with Folate and Molybdenum as well as other vitamins and minerals but not in high quantity.
- Romaine lettuce is a very good source of dietary fiber which will be beneficial to your microbiome
- A study performed on rats showed that an extract from romaine lettuce reduced oxidative stress that's a root cause to many free radical-related diseases.
- The same study concluded that the romaine extract increased the antioxidants defense mechanism.
- Furthermore, the lettuce extract played a role in protecting against toxicity.
- Romaine lettuce possesses Flavonoids and Saponins that clears the oxidative damage in different cells and organs while still normalizing their functions.
These vegan romaine lettuce wraps have a mixture of raw and cooked ingredients which creates different textures and flavors, making these lettuce wraps extra delicious.
I used my green banana sauce into which I added some mustard seeds cream to create an awesomely delicious sauce.
You really have to try my green banana sauce, it's a very good alternative to dairy creams that are always high in saturated fat and a good substitute to nuts creams for those allergic/avoiding to nuts
You'll love the fact that even though these wraps seem light, they constitute a whole meal with all macro and micronutrients being present. Your ideal meal if you're in weight loss diet
I leave you, hoping that veggie lettuce wraps will be on your shopping list. Enjoy and customize them to your liking and according to what you have available for you.
Don't forget to leave a comment and subscribe if you haven't.
Giving you my love, GITHU.
Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- Chopping board
- large bowl
- Small bowl
Vegan Romaine Lettuce Wraps Filling
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup fresh green onions
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced radish
- 1 cup leftover cooked potatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped chives and mint leaves
- pinch of salt
- bunch of cleaned romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp healthy oil of your choice
- 3 tbsp green banana sauce or sauce of your choice
- ½ tsp mustard seeds sauce
- sweet paprika
- In a small bowl, add the green banana sauce
- Add the oil
- Add the mustard seeds sauce
- Add pepper and paprika
- Whisk them together to mix well
Assemble the lettuce filling
- Add all the ingredients except the romaine leaves according to the order in a large bowl
- Pour the sauce and mix gently
- Taste to adjust the seasoning
Making the wraps
- Place 2 romaine leaves together in a form of a boat
- Scoop a spoonful of the filling in the leaves
- Take a big bite and enjoy...
- Thank you for sharing this recipe, don't forget to subscribe for more healthy recipes.