This kale smoothie for detox is low in sugar which makes it a perfect all-round detox and weight loss breakfast smoothie. We're using a powerful antioxidant blend of purple kale, blueberries, yogurt, and hachiya persimmon.
Can we hit 3 birds with the same stone? (I don't mean we throw stones to birds lol). With this kale smoothie for detox, we are going to target 3 things affecting our health.
1. Weight Loss
Are you like me? January came round and my pants👖 seemed to have shrunk in the washing machine? I didn't even eat anything unhealthy to make me gain weight!
But, as a food blogger, I am creating recipes🍜 all the time, which means I am eating all the time. Sometimes, recipes that I'd eat only once a week have to be test-eaten (LOL!) 3-5 times before I share them with you.
So it's time to shed off some kilos, and what a better way to achieve that goal than eating low carb food for a while. I've been drinking this kale smoothie every morning for the past 2 weeks, and I love it.
2. Dealing with Inflammation
The other thing we might have in common is inflammation. I'd stayed off the pain for some years, but suddenly, the pain is back! Not too much, but my left shoulder is currently immobilized by inflammation.
3. Detoxing our Bodies
The other matter we've to handle is detoxifying our bodies. If you're like me living in a big city, then you really have to detox your body several times a year. There's too much pollution!
Low carb kale smoothie is the right smoothie to help us hit those 3 birds with a single stone! It's creamy and satisfying so don't panic lol.
Do you normally make kale smoothie? What's your favorite flavor? For me, I just started. Kale isn't that common in this city and when I started on Kale, the idea of making smoothie took time to materialize.
I went for purple kale (known as redbor kale), if they're not available where you live, then go for green kales. The nutritional values are more or less the same.
This detox kale smoothie recipe is composed of 3 main ingredients. Let's take a look at each separately, shall we?
Health Benefits of a Kale Smoothie for Detoxing
- This kale smoothie is a powerhouse of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. Kale is rich in vitamins K, A, C, B1, B2, B3, B6, & E. It's a good source of Manganese, copper, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc...
- Kale is also very rich in lutein, an antioxidant that protects the eye from potential damage from light.
- A high source of vitamin K which regulates your body's inflammation process makes kale an anti-inflammatory food.
- Kale is a food source of glucosinolates which are cancer-protective compounds.
- Kale has rough skin, which makes it a good source of dietary fiber.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
- They are highly rich in vitamins K and C.
- Aside from Vitamins, blueberries are also loaded with phytochemicals, especially anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are associated with reduced risks of heart diseases, diabetes. they offer neural protection & weight management.
- Blueberries are a wonderful anti-inflammatory food and they can positively affect your microbiome thus improving your health.
- Additionally, blueberries support the body when it's performing detox in the lymphatic system.
Health Benefits of Hachiya Persimmon
- Persimmon is another fruit that's loaded with nutrients.
- These fruits are also a good source of vitamins A, C, E & K.
- They also contain minerals like iron, manganese, copper, and magnesium.
- Additionally, persimmons are a rich source of antioxidants. These are the wonder-compounds that protect your cells from damage by neutralizing the free radicals.
- Vitamin A, C, and K are anti-inflammatory and since persimmon contains high sources of these vitamins, this makes it be an anti-inflammatory food.
- They tend to have a low carb contents, making them a perfect fruit for weight loss.
Do you see how this detox kale smoothie is loaded with dietary fiber? Fibre increases your bowel movements, hence, helping you to lose weight. This kale smoothie turns out to be a good source of iron if you're struggling with anemia or low bone density.
You might not know this, but blueberries and hachiya persimmon have very low GI indices. The Glycemic Index of hachiya persimmon is 50 and that of blueberries is 53 making them low sugar fruits. That means that this kale smoothie isn't very sweet.
If you'd want it sweeter, then add some dates or a banana. Don't go overboard, though! We want this kale smoothie recipe to help with weight loss and anti-inflammatory, don't we?
Tell me, did you use the same ingredients to make this low carb & anti-inflammatory kale smoothie or did you substitute some? What about the creamy texture of the smoothie? I would love to hear what you think; please share in the comments.
I love you, and every comment you post here gives me immense joy communicating with you.
My heart to you, Githu.
Have a look at these health smoothies
- Protein-rich vegan smoothie
- Delicious cherry chocolate smoothie
- Healthy cucumber blueberry smoothie
- Healthy green smoothie with apples
- Zucchini oatmeal smoothie healthy breakfast
- Fresh peach smoothie
- Healthy strawberry smoothie
- Weight loss avocado smoothie
- Blueberry detoxifying smoothie
- Anti-inflammatory banana smoothie
- Anti-rheumatoid pineapple cilantro smoothie
Purple Kale Smoothie for Detoxing
- 3-4 medium size kale leaves
- 1 well ripen persimmon fruit
- 1 tin of yogurt (90g)
- 1 tin water (use the yogurt container for measurement)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries
- Clean and remove the kale leaves from their stems
- Put the kale leaves in the blender
- Peel the persimmon fruit and slice it before adding it into the blender
- Bring the rest of the ingredients and blend into a creamy smoothie
- If you find it thick, add just a splash of water
- Enjoy immediately while still fresh, because after it will change not only the color but also the taste
- Thank you so much for pinning and sharing this kale smoothie. Comment on how it tasted to you.
- Kale leaves and especially the mature ones are hard to chew, to blend this smoothie into smooth, start with the kale leaves so that the blender can work on them first.
- If you add too much liquid before blending, you'll be left with some small chunks of kale leaves
- Blend ONLY what you'll drink at once, don't store this smoothie, you might not appreciate it that much after storage.
- The more the kale you add into this smoothie the darker the colour will be.