This massaged kale salad with smoky chickpeas is deliciously spiced with smoked paprika. Steam your veggies to retain their minerals and vitamins, marinate your kale to soften it up, and you'll love it. Make a batch of this salad and take it with you for lunch or picnic
Hi dear, as I promised you, I'll be eating a lot of kale salads this fall through winter, and I hope you too because kale is concentrated with a lot of healthy nutrients that can improve your health.
Here is another delicious kale salad recipe that I am sharing with you.
Massaged kale salad is packed with nutrients. Prefer steaming your veggies to retain the vitamins and minerals that are mostly destroyed by high and dry heat. This kale salad recipe is deliciously flavorful with dynamic of various textures.
For a quick version of roasted chickpeas, pan-roast your chickpeas, they will be as good as oven-roasted and they'll take you less time. Use smoked paprika to pan-roast your chickpeas, you'll not regret it!
What you'll love about this massaged kale recipe is how easily you can assemble it, besides, you can make it ahead of time. pack it for your office lunch or for picnics.
How to massaged kale
- Start by cleaning your kale leaves, then cut the leaves into bite-sizes
- Mince the garlic
- In a large bowl, bring the garlic and kale leaves, squeeze half a lemon on it, add salt and olive oil
- Using your hands, press on the kale leaves and mix them well
- Leave the covered to marinate as you work on with the other ingredients
How to roasted chickpeas
Now, if you've never tasted anything with smoked paprika, girl, it's high time you equip yourself with this delicious smoky spice!
- Smoked paprika takes these chickpeas on another level!
- Please, if you don't have a pressure cooker, or you don't have enough time to cook your chickpeas, take time to choose healthy canned ones.
- Drain them well.
- And you've to listen to me on this, drain-the-chickpeas-completely! otherwise, you'll not get the same results, my friend!
- The thing here is to pan-roast the chickpeas in the smoked paprika
- In a pan add some good amount of smoked paprika with some garam masala, add oil and stir well.
- Please, please, never let your cooking oil smoke! that's how you create free radicals!
- When the oil and spices are hot BUT not smoking add the well-drained chickpeas.
- Roast the chickpeas stirring them quite often. The spices will coat the chickpeas but also on the pan! don't worry about that.
- Cut off the heat, remove the chickpeas from the pan.
Now bring the massaged kale in the pan, stir and cover. Kale leaves will pick-up the coated spices from the pan.
Transfer the kale back to the big bowl and then go ahead in assembling the massaged kale salad with smoky chickpeas as on the recipe card here below.
Why will you love this massaged kale salad recipe?
- It has only 6 main ingredients
- It will take you less than 30 mins to assemble
- It's very healthy, filling, and very delicious
- It's a whole meal on its own
- You'll have a good amount of vitamins A, C, and K, proteins, minerals, and fiber.
- Also, it'll provide you with a lot of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
I used large chunks of veggies, for I know how difficult it can be to chop veggies when you're ill. You can, however, cut them into small pieces once you've steamed yours.
I don't go for any sauce with this kale salad, because there's already enough oil used during the preparation. However, feel free to add any healthy sauce of your choice.
I hope you'll love this massaged kale salad with smoky chickpeas as much as I do.
Let me know by commenting below. Thank you in advance for pinning and sharing this kale salad recipe.
My love to you, Githu.
I've gathered for you some more salads
- Easy kale salad with quinoa
- A kale salad with sun-dried tomatoes
- Summer salad cauliflower rice
- Mung beans healthy salad
- Crunchy apple salad with celery & avocado
- Fall healthy salad for weight loss
- Fresh apricot quinoa salad recipe
- Creamy butter beans cucumber salad recipe
Massaged kale salad with smoky chickpeas
- A vegetable steamer
- A large salad bowl
- 3 large kale leaves
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ small sweet potato ( choose colored)
- ½ little piece butternut about a cup or two
- ½ a small piece culiflower head
- ½ bell pepper; diced
- 2 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbs cold-pressed oil
- 1 tsp vinegar ( I used apple cider vinegar)
- cayenne or hot spice of your choice
- Clean and destem kales cutting them into bite sizes, put them in a big salad bowl
- Dice the garlic put it on the kales
- Add vinegar and a tbs of oil, sprinkle with some salt
- Press half of the lemon on the kale
- Massage the kale leaves by squeezing them with your hands.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth and let kale marinate for 30 mins
- Clean all your veggies and cut them into chunks
- Put them in a steamer, sprinkle them with some salt, and steam for 15 mins or so, till a knife can go through the sweet potato
- Remove them and put them in a bowl with cold water to cool them
- Drain your chickpeas before preparing the kales
- In a pan add the smoked paprika, garam masala, and 1 tbs of oil. Let them heat on a medium-high heat but don't let the oil smoke
- Bring the chickpeas in the pan, stir them well so that they're coated with the spices
- Cover and stir now and then for about 7 mins, spices will coat on the pan
- Cut off the heat and remove the chickpeas from the pan
- Bring the kale in the pan and stir, cover with a lid for about 5mins. The kale will pick up the smoked paprika that is coating the base of the pan but you can also add a tsp of water and scrape off the spices with a wooden spoon then mix the kale around the pan.
Assembling marinated kale salad
- You can opt to serve the kale bowl in individual bowls separating each ingredient OR
- You can add all the ingredients in the large bowl and toss them gently. Personally, I love them this way
- Sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper. Add the last tbs of oil, and mix well. Serve after tasting for seasoning.
- Do you like this marinated kale salad recipe? are you going to make it?
- Leave me a word by commenting here below, thank you for sharing and pinning this recipe.
- Be blessed.
- Depending on the sizes of your veggies, they might take longer or short time to steam.
- You don't have to count or weigh these veggies, make a lot and keep them in the fridge for the meals to come, plus, you need to eat a lot of vegetables anyway.