This tofu soup with shiitake mushroom is really delicious. The flavors blend in your mouth in a fusion of spicy pepper, and buttery softness of the shiitake mushrooms. Then you chew on the mint leaves, and the crispy tofu is so comforting. Not forgetting the sting from mustard seeds.
Hi my dear.
Please do take a seat because there's no way I can eat this tofu soup with shiitake mushroom all by myself! I'll feel so much guilt if I don't share it with you.
Now tell me that you like tofu, because girl, this crispy tofu will blow your mind! Each bite of this soup is ecstasy!
This soup is made with crispy tofu that you quickly make on your pan, fresh shiitake mushrooms that you can substitute with dry ones, fresh mint, freshly grounded pepper, soft white beans, and spiced with Dijon mustard...
The flavors are mixing in your mouth, the hot spicy pepper is almost burning but, the softness of fresh shiitake mushroom calms the fire. , then you chew on the mint leaves, and the crispy tofu is so comforting… not forgetting the sting from mustard seeds...
Are you getting me? this isn't any tofu or mushroom soup you've eaten out there, you MUST try this unique blend...
And guess what! this tofu soup is so easy and quick to fix. It's really healthy because I added nothing but whole ingredients, Well apart from tofu!
But you do agree with me, this isn't rea-l-l-y an onion soup, aah? I was so blown by the way this shiitake mushroom recipe turned out, and eating it was like… being in a little heaven.
I have made this tofu soup with shiitake mushrooms several times now, it's amazing, even my daughter loves it, she loves crispy tofu anyway, but seeing her eat shiitake mushroom was so pleasing.
How to Choose your Tofu
Here in France, there are 3 kinds of tofu, the silken tofu which won't work in this recipe. There's firm tofu, which is perfect to make crispy tofu recipes, and there's an extra firm (so dry it has no moisture.)
So go for firm tofu. Please do buy organic as soya is grown with a lot of chemicals. More of it out there is actually Genetically Modified. Always read ingredients, my dear.
How to make crispy tofu
The easiest, the quickest and yet the healthiest is to pan-fry your tofu.
I cross my fingers that you have a non-sticking pan, do you?
Use a kitchen towel to pat dry tofu, just to remove that liquid it has in the package. Cut your tofu into cubes, not too small though. Then wipe your non-sticking pan with some drops of oil.
Place the pan on a heat source (medium-high) and place the tofu in the pan. Spread them so that they can have space and leave them to heat without stirring.
Turn them after they're brown to cook the other side.
It will take you about 10 mins to make crispy tofu depending on your heat source.
Is Tofu Healthy?
There are pros and cons out in the world of the internet. But serious studies have been done on soya beans.
- Every plant has anti-nutrients so that it can defend itself. Soya isn't an exception. But it also has a lot of other health benefits like anticancer, source of calcium, among others.
- As they say, "too much of anything can be poison", yes even water. Consuming soy food like tofu twice a week will do you no harm, (unless you are allergic to soy). Just read ingredients.
- Promotes your heart health, it may protect you against some cancers, like breast cancer, stomach cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Tofu is said to help during menopause where hot flushes are common.
- It also has several minerals like calcium, phosphorus, manganese, etc. These can help you build strong bones.
To make this tofu soup with shiitake mushrooms I used canned white beans to add more depth as well as to make this soup a complete meal. You'll not want to add anything else in this tofu soup.
Please read the ingredients while choosing your canned beans. Avoid the ones with added sugar or a long list of ingredients. The beans here had just salt and seawater.
As for shiitake, I haven't tried dried shiitake mushrooms yet. I'm sure once soaked, they would work well too in this shiitake mushroom recipe.
To be honest, I've really enjoyed making this tofu soup with shiitake mushroom in your company. Please let me know how yours turned out.
Leave me a comment and share this delicious tofu soup.
And oh! don't forget to subscribe to my emails so that I can send you more healthy recipes.
Please do share and pin this recipe.
Much love from here, Githu.
Don't go yet, you've more mushroom recipes here
Tofu soup with Shiitake Mushroom
- Chopping board
- water boiler
What you need to make this spicy vegan crispy tofu
- 200 grams firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 whole scallions/green onion
- 250 grams canned white beans
- 8 pieces of shiitake mushroom
- pinch salt and hot pepper (I used cayenne)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp mustard seed sauce
- handful fresh mint leaves
- Start by pat drying the tofu with a kitchen towel. Cut it into cubes, not too small!
- Put your non sticking pan on a heat source at medium-high, rub it with some few drops of olive/coconut oil.
- Place the tofu in the pan and space them out. Leave them to be crispy then turn the other side. It may take 10 mins depending on you heat.
- Run water on the onions and chop them, keep the white/red base aside.
- In a saucepan bring the white/red parts only, add the remaining olive/coconut oil, stir and cover to cook on medium-high heat about 4 mins.
- Put about 3 cups of water to boil in your boiler
- Now add the green part of the scallions and stir. cover and leave it to cook for 3 mins.
- During this time, drain the white beans, cut the shiitake if you have big pieces.
- Bring the beans, shiitake, salt and hot pepper to the onions, stir well and cook for a minute.
- Add the boiling water, stir well and cover.
- Once the boiling starts, cook for 3 mins and turn off the heat
- Bring the crispy tofu in the soup, stir well.
- Add the mustard seed sauce together with fresh mint leaves. Combine everything gently.
- Leave to cool or serve while hot. Enjoy yourself.
- Let me know how you found this soup by commenting on the post, subscribe for more recipes. Kiss you.