This split pea soup recipe is warm and hearty, a satisfying whole healthy meal that's vegan. A healing anti-inflammatory split pea soup that you don't need to blend...
When I was creating this no blender split pea soup recipe with celery recipe, I totally ignored that there is an ocean of split peas soup recipes with celery and carrots out there! This vegan version, however, is a bit different from other soups it has all the textures and flavors that you'll not find in other split pea soup variations.
This split pea soup recipe, calls for more chewing than the classic soup variation. We find it really interesting and the soup is more filling. Really, you don't need to blend this soup.
It's also beneficial for your teeth as chewing is important in maintaining strong teeth and jaws.
Moreso, what I love about this split pea recipe is that you'll enjoy it as well spend some extra time with your family or friends at the table.
I don't know if you have ever noticed, the fast you finish your dinner plate, the lesser time you spend with your loved ones at the dining table.
This split pea recipe is easy and you have several options on how to cook it. You can go for the instant pot if you have one or you can opt for a slow cooker.
I use a stovetop and still, I reduce the classic cooking time because I normally soak the dry split green peas for the whole day or night.
This healthy green split soup is a whole dish on its own, you don't need anything else. It's filling and loaded with minerals and dietary fiber, it's really a comforting meal.
If you have some vegetable broth, it will turn this dinner into a very delicious meal. I had made some vegetable broth with pineapple skin (sound funny?), leeks' greens, dried herbs, pepper, and salt…
Is split pea soup healthy for you?
Oh yes, this split soup recipe comes with a couple of health benefits.
- Celery will give you a lot of antioxidants that will help you fight inflammation, skin infections, reduce cholesterol, manage blood pressure and improve digestion as well as manage your weight.
- I chose to add celery just at the end so that you don't lose all the vitamin C, since it's very sensitive to heat.
- SPLIT PEAS
- They're a good source of minerals like Molybdenum, Copper, Manganese, Folate, Phosphorus, among others
- A very good source of proteins and fiber.
- Additionally, split pea will help in reducing your cholesterol, blood sugar and improve digestion, they're low carb and so will help in losing weight.
- They have Isoflavones, these are phytonutrients that can act like estrogens and can help in reducing the risks of some cancers, eg breast cancer, and prostate cancer.
- One of the best and easily affordable, source of Vitamin A. They also have Biotin, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6 and C, Molybdenum, Potassium, and fiber.
- Carrots have a high amount of beta- carotene, but they also have other carotenoids.
- In fact, carrots have been associated with reducing Cardiovascular Disease.
- Ever heard of, "eat carrots for your eyes?"
- Improve the health of your eyes by eating carrots regularly.
- In addition, they're also cancer-protective as well as supporting your liver.
Herbs and Spices
I added a handful of herbs like dry basil, dry chive, fresh mint, and fresh curry plant (Helichrysum italicum).
You have spices like cumin, mustard seeds, fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, and freshly ground black with white pepper and cayenne pepper, that offer healing properties and are anti-inflammatory.
Celery split pea recipe is not for only adults, my daughter of 6 yrs, appreciate this recipe when I prolong the cooking time. This doesn't turn int soup though, but it's less crunchy.
I serve my portion then I continue the cooking for her sake.
This is to say that if you have kids, cooking this split soup recipe for extra minutes will obviously make them enjoy this delicious hearty split pea soup.
I hope you'll enjoy this no blender split pea soup recipe with celery , tell me your opinion on comments below, and please do share out, thanks.
Much love from here, Githu.
Try out these healthy soups recipes
- Vegan chunky potato leek soup
- Weight loss vegetable soup
- Tomato soup with fresh turmeric
- Comforting roasted corn & butternut soup
- Garlic homemade tomato soup
- Tofu soup with shiitake mushrooms
- Watercress soup with green peas
No blender split pea soup recipe with celery
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbps dry chives
- 1 tbs dry basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium onion
- piece fresh ginger
- piece fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 2 cups soaked dry split green peas
- 2 medium carrots
- vegetable broth or water
- 1 stalk celery with leaves
- handful fresh mint
- 1 tsp mustard seeds sauce
- black pepper
- pinch salt
- cayenne pepper
- Rinse the soaked split peas and drain them
- Clean your veggies.
- In a large saucepan, bring the dry herbs, put on the heat at a low point.
- Chop and mince the onions, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Bring them in the saucepan and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Stir these together, cover, and let them cook at medium heat for about 8 mins as you stir now again.
- During this time, dice your carrots into small cubes.
- Bring your carrots with rinsed split peas in the saucepan. mix everything well and cover. Bring the heat at medium-high...
- Let these cook for 10 mins as you keep on stirring now and then.
- Add a vegetable broth of your choice or water.
- Increase the heat to start the boiling
- When the boiling takes off, bring the heat to medium-high and simmer for 10-15 according to the texture you want
- Meanwhile, chop the celery and get the mint leaves.
- Add the chopped celery, mint leaves, mustard seeds sauce, pepper, cayenne, and salt.
- Fold everything well together and cut off the heat. Cover and let the dish cool before serving.
- Just before serving, add the other tbsp of olive oil.
- Enjoy this comforting meal with your family or friends...
- You can keep the leftovers in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
- Please leave a comment and pin this recipe... kisses.