This vegan chunky potato leek soup is a classic comforting leek soup perfect for a cold winter. It's yummy, tender and filling, all you need in a potato leek soup. This potato soup is easy to make you don't even need a blender, see the step by step images.
Leeks and potatoes go so well together in any given dish and this vegetable soup will testify that to you.
The fragrant of cooking leeks and potatoes is enough to make you hungry.
There're two classics leek and potato soups here in France. Le potage Parmentier and Vichyssoise (don't try to pronounce it lol).
These two recipes are relatively the same as they call for white leeks and potatoes, however, they use a lot of butter, milk and heavy cream.
I wanted some potato leek soup to warm ourselves as it has been very cold here, but it had to be something healthy and filling.
That's how I came up with this vegan chunky potato leek soup.
This chunky potato leek soup will warm you up in cold winter days. While in most recipes leek soup is served with bread, this leek soup with potatoes doesn't need anything extra.
It's a whole meal by itself.
Is this potato leek soup healthy?
Oh, you can't get a healthier leek soup out there! this recipe is using only whole ingredients, nothing more.
You'll use olive/coconut oil to replace the butter, on the other hand, use spices to bring flavor instead of using cream.
Leeks have vitamins A, C, and K. They've iron, manganese, and dietary fiber.
Potatoes are good for vitamins B6 and C, minerals like copper, potassium, phosphorus, manganese and also dietary fiber.
Carrots will give you dietary fiber, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, E, and K.
This vegetable soup has antioxidants that make it a perfect healing dish against inflammation and other diseases.
Chunky potato leek soup for weight loss
If you are doing your veganuary, January detox, or you just want to lose some weight, this leek potato soup is perfect to add in your meal plan.
Being on medication, and especially the steroids can make you gain weight, leek potato soup will be your best friend as you'll remain satiated for long hours.
I already shared with you this sweet potato leek soup which is also great in helping you lose some weight.
What part of leeks to use when making leek soup?
Ideally, it'd be great to use the whole leek, unfortunately, the uppermost dark green leaves are hard and fibrous, making them hard to cook in a quick recipe.
Cut your leek at the middle where the green leaves starts.
Open the green leave and take the interior fine parts, they're soft and cooks easily, then cut off the base, keep these together with the rest of green leaves for a vegetable broth.
You can also buy already chopped frozen white leeks, especially when you can't do much with your hands due to pain.
That's it. You can now add potatoes and leeks to your shopping list, You'll be making chunky potato leek soup this weekend, right?
Now, the classic leek soup calls for leeks and potatoes as the only veggies. I added carrots to make this potato leek soup a main dish as well to add more vitamins.
You can substitute the carrots with celery or you can leave them out as well.
You can opt to blend your soup, feel free.
Tell me, do you like this recipe? Leave me a comment here below. Take good care of your body by soothing it with healthy food.
My love to you, Githu.
HAVE A LOOK AT THESE DELICIOUS RECIPES
- Celery split pea dinner recipe
- Spicy vegan crispy tofu with shiitake
- Watercress soup with green peas
- Garlic & herbs whole fried tomato soup
- Fresh homemade turmeric tomato soup
Vegan chunky potato leek soup
- a piece of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil/coconut
- 2 medium-size carrots
- 3 cups (675g) diced potatoes
- 4 medium-size leeks (2 if you've long mature leeks)
- Pinch of salt
- 5 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 cups (480ml) vegetable broth
- some fresh mint leaves & dill (optional)
- Start by cleaning your veggies. For the leeks, cut off the base & the green leave. Open the green leaves and take the interior fine parts. Take the white and divide it into 2 by cutting lengthwise, clean all the parts
- Dice the carrots, peel the potatoes and chop the leeks
- Grate the ginger and garlic using a vegetable grater
- In a large saucepan bring the cumin powder to heat for a minute or two
- Add the grated garlic and ginger plus the oil
- Cook them for 3 mins in medium-low heat
- Add the diced carrots, increase the heat to medium-high, sauté the carrots covered for about 3 mins, stirring them now and then
- Bring in the potatoes and sauté them for 3 mins, turning them now and then
- Add the leeks and fold everything together, add salt and cover to cook for 3 mins
- Pour in the broth, add the thyme, increase the heat till the boiling take place the reduce to a moderate-high heat
- Simmer for 15 mins till the potatoes are cooked but remain firm
- Put off the heat, stir the soup gently and taste to adjust the seasoning
- Take out the thyme branches
- Chop the fresh herbs and add into the soup
- Cover and wait for the potato leek soup to cool
- Please do note this recipe. I'll be grateful if you shared and pinned it.
- May this recipe satisfy your appetite, may it be a step forward to your pain-free life!