Enjoy this creamy tomato soup recipe with fresh turmeric topped with coconut cream to create a luxurious healthy and vegan soup. This tomato soup is perfect for light dinner or as an entree. You just need a few ingredients for this homemade tomato recipe, use step by step photos for guidance.
What can be comforting at a time like this when the thermometer has dropped drastically to a cold fall than a hearty, creamy, freshly homemade tomato soup?
Fresh tomatoes are still in the farmer's market and it's time for you to make yourself a delicious tomato soup!
If you're lucky to have a garden, you've got a lot of homegrown tomatoes. And if you're wondering what to do with all those tomatoes before you have rotten tomatoes, then this is the perfect time for a fresh tomato soup.
This tomato soup is delicious, flavorful and quite easy to make. Spiced with spices like turmeric, ginger, fennel, and cumin seeds to give you the best soup that you might have not yet tasted!
How to make a homemade tomato soup using fresh tomatoes?
- The secret resides in the choice of your tomatoes!
- You'll need to get very ripe tomatoes, they've more flavor, juice, and they taste so sweet.
- Let's spice up your tomato soup to add more depth!
- Spices do not only add flavor but they're healing too. All the spices used in this soup recipe have anti-inflammatory properties.
- I prefer cooking the spices first in a dry hot saucepan to allow them to bring out their aroma, before adding, garlic, ginger, onions, and then oil.
- You don't necessarily need a vegetable broth in this recipe as you've spices to add flavor.
- You just need to add some boiling water and let the tomatoes simmer for about 10 mins.
- Blend the tomato soup in your blender, then add the cream of your choice.
- Although, I highly recommend using coconut cream not only to keep this tomato recipe vegan but also to have the coconut flavor that's so delicious.
Health benefits of turmeric
- This tomato soup has several spices with healing properties. Turmeric is the most used in many cultures for its healing power.
- You need to use fresh turmeric root instead of Curcuma powder. Even though the shelf life of fresh turmeric is short compared to the powder form, fresh turmeric will be easily absorbed in your body.
- Besides, most of essential oil and curcumin are lost during the processing of turmeric powder.
- In most parts of Asia, turmeric root is considered as the most valuable healing medicinal herb out there.
- Turmeric has been used in health issues related to digestion, infertility, urinary disorders, fever, dental problems, ulcers, worms, gas relief, and menstrual pain.
- Because it has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric has been studied in the prevention and relief of rheumatoid arthritis.
- This tomato soup is a healing soothing soup with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tomatoes come with a lot of vitamins and minerals, they're high in vitamin C, biotin, molybdenum, vitamin K & A.
- They're a good source of copper, manganese, potassium, & magnesium.
- More so, tomatoes have lycopene, an antioxidant that has been studied to prevent cancer and heart disease.
- The presence of vitamin A & K in tomatoes makes them a good food choice when it comes to maintaining strong bones.
- Vitamin A & C will help you in reducing free radicals in your body.
- Tomatoes are anti-inflammatory.
With what do you serve this tomato soup?
Enjoy this creamy homemade tomato soup with fresh turmeric topped with coconut cream as a light dinner. It's a perfect soup for weight loss.
You can, however, use pasta, bread, rice, millet, or quinoa to appreciate this delicious tomato soup.
Make this homemade tomato soup before the fresh tomatoes are out of season. Let me know in the comment below, how you appreciated your soup.
I love you, Githu.
You've here some more healthy soups for you.
- Comforting corn & butternut soup
- Healthy red lentils tomato soup
- Celery split pea
- Tofu soup with shiitake mushroom
- Garlic homemade tomato soup
Tomato soup recipe with fresh turmeric
- High-speed blender or a hander blender
- Chopping board
- Wooden cooking spoon
- 1 tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs cilantro seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 piece of turmeric
- a small piece of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp olive/coconut oil
- 1 kg very ripe tomatoes
- boiling water
- pinch of salt
- hot spice like cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk and some more for topping
- Bring all the seeds into a medium saucepan and heat them at medium heat for 4mins
- During that time mince turmeric, ginger, garlic, and onion and add them in the saucepan. Stir and increase the heat to medium-high then cover them to cook for 2 mins
- Add olive oil, stir well and cover. Let the onion cook for about 8 mins, stirring now & then
- Meanwhile, dice the tomatoes
- Add smoked paprika and salt in the saucepan and stir then cover for a minute
- Bring in the tomatoes, stir well and cover to cook for 3 mins
- Cover with boiling water; the water should be at the same level as tomatoes; about 3cups. Simmer for 10 mins
- Add cayenne spice or hot spice of your choice, just a little though
- Pour the coconut cream and stir. Cook for 2 mins then cut off the heat. Let the soup cool before you put it the blender. You can also use a hand blender.
- Blend into a smooth soup, serve and top with some coconut cream and stir just a little.
- Enjoy this delicious creamy homemade tomato soup
- Please do rate and share this recipe, thank you