The best roasted fennel recipe. It's bursting with flavors while it remains crunchy and luscious. The fennel bulb is roasted on a pan with onions and spices till they caramelize. Top your roasted fennel with mango salsa and put on some sweet music behind the scene...
I want to say this dish is sexy without offending anyone, roasted fennel with mango salsa isn't the dish that you'll cook every other day. You've to let all the love flow in the environment to appreciate this dish.
Call your best friend or your sweetheart, send the kids to sleep out or hire a babysitter, because this dish is for two. Perfect for an evening meal in a company of someone you really appreciate…
Don't forget to put some soft jazz music (or the music that makes you vibrate) behind there to create that evening ambiance.
Oh! how I wish I was facing some mountains right now and the night was falling, letting the evening breeze swift in, birds chirping as I wait for this fennel recipe to roast.
What's your dream place?
This fennel recipe will blow your mind, the dynamic of flavors makes this roasted fennel so unique. The caramelized onions, spices, the capers, and the mango salsa creates a delicious side dish that you're not ready to forget.
How to make pan-roasted fennel
- To have the best-caramelized roasted fennels and onions, you need to let them cook on low heat, this will take time, but it's worth the results. You don't want them burned and dry.
- So, in a pan that has a lid, bring fennel seeds and cumin seeds on low heat as you chop the onions.
- Cut onions into halves then slice them, not too thin as they'll dry out quickly.
- Bring the onions in the pan and cover, clean and trim by cutting off the green parts of the fennel bulb. Don't cut off the base, you need the bulb to remain intact.
- Cut the fennel bulb into two using a sharp knife.
- Add oil in the onions and stir them. Now lay down each half fennel on the pan, make sure that they touch the base of the pan, so you need to move onions on the side before spreading them all over. (see the 2nd photo)
- Let the fennel roast slowly until caramelized as you prepare your mango salsa.
- You'll stir ONLY the onions slowly now and then without touching on the fennels bulbs.
- Check the cooking by inserting a toothpick into one fennel. If the toothpick goes through, then your roasted fennels are ready.
If you don't appreciate the licorice flavor of fresh fennel, then this roasted fennel recipe is definitely going to please you.
You can serve roasted fennel with mango salsa as an entree or side dish with some rice or quinoa.
You give yourself an excellent evening. I can't wait to read from you about this roasted fennel recipe.
Thank you for sharing this fennel recipe, and don't forget to subscribe for more delicious healthy recipes...
I blow to you many kisses, Githu.
Check on these healthy delicious recipes
- Healthy sweet potato recipe
- Frozen green peas with nutritional yeast
- Perfect brown rice risotto with pumpkins
- Mung bean & pumpkins cooked in turmeric
- Healthy red lentils recipe with fresh tomatoes
- Rhubarb recipe with radish greens
Roasted fennel with mango salsa
Caramelized fennel and onions
- 1 tablespoon fennel & cumin seeds
- 2 big onions or 3 medium size
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- thumb ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 handful fresh chives
- 1 cup mango
- 1 medium size tomatoes
- 1 fresh chili
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- In a large pan with a lid bring fennel & cumin seeds on low heat, cover.
- Dice ginger and garlic finely. Cut onions into halves then slice them, not too thinly.
- Bring all these into the pan, spread, and cover.
- Clean and trim by cutting off the hard and green part of the fennel. (take off the outer skin and slice it then add to the onions. Keep the greens to decorate the fennel after serving.)
- Cut it into halves.
- Add olive oil in the pan, stir well. Push the onions on the side of the pan and lay each half fennel in the pan.
- Now spread the onions all over.
- Sprinkle with salt. Cover the pan
- Now increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for about ten minutes then bring the heat to medium-low.
- Stir the onions only, and cover to cook for 30 mins
- During this time make your cilantro-mango salsa by Dicing, chopping and then adding all the ingredients in a serving bowl and set aside.
- Stir ONLY the onions now and then, not too often though. Don't move the fennel bulbs.
- After 30 minutes check if the cooking is done by inserting a toothpick. If the toothpick goes through cut the heat, if not so, continue till cooked.
- Add capers and pepper then stir gently.
- Serve the fennel on a plate, the caramelized side facing up. Add cilantro-mango salsa on the top.
- Enjoy this awesomely delicious dish
- Your comment adds value to my content, please drop a word before leaving.
- Depending on the size of the fennel bulb, the cooking time will vary.
- If you cook at high heat the fennel and the onions will burn instead of caramelizing
I 'd love reading your reply