Published August 30 2019 Updated February 26 2021
This healthy red lentils recipe with fresh tomatoes is simple, easy & super delicious. A dahl lentils recipe without curry. Follow the step by step to make yourself a delicious red lentils recipe.
If there's a dish you can enjoy throughout the year then it should be this healthy red lentils recipe with fresh tomatoes.
I'll not brag telling you this lentil recipe with tomatoes is the best out there, but I can assure you that it's delicious and it beats any other curry red lentils recipes in cooking time! Aren't you always looking for something quick to cook?
I have a friend who's hubby has allergy on spices, and while I love throwing spices on almost everything, I thought about her and I am pretty sure she ain't the only one.
This healthy red lentils recipe calls for very few spices which you can omit if you have to without compromising the taste of this recipe.
Red lentils nutrition
Lentils are seeds from the leguminous plant. They're high in soluble fiber and low in fat.
They are a very good source of proteins and minerals like Molybdenum, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Phosphorous, and Copper.
They are high in vitamin B1, B6, Folate, and Pantothenic Acid (B5).
Red lentils benefits
Consumption of red lentils has been associated with the reduction of cholesterol, colon cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
In a study done on rats, it was concluded that lentils reduced the pathogens present in the gut microbiome that are responsible for causing some diseases.
Red lentils are great when it comes to losing weight as they are low in fat and have a low Glycemic Index of 21.
How to make this healthy red lentils recipe
- In this red lentils recipe, the cooking time is reduced by soaking the lentils.
- Since lentils do have lectins, anti-nutrients that bind to minerals like Iron and thus reducing the absorption in your body.
- With this in mind, I recommend soaking your red lentils at least for 8hrs, and especially if you're dealing with anemia as I do.
- Once the red lentils are soaked, they swell, split, and become soft to cook. (unless you are using split lentils)
- While making this red lentils recipe, you'll add them at the end, leave them to simmer for about 5 mins or so if you want them very soft.
I cooked the carrots separately first as I find they enhance the sweetness and flavor this way. Pan-roast the carrots till they become crispy at the edges.
To make this red lentil recipe creamy, you'll need to blend some part of red lentils into a thick sauce then bring it back to the saucepan and mix well
My tip here is to scoop as much tomato skin as possible together with red lentils and blend with carrots to make a thick creamy sauce.
Enhance the flavor by squeezing a lemon, if you love lemons as I do, then slice them finely and add them in the stew.
Fresh basil adds that note of freshness, I used lemon basil, which I know it's not that common to get, but if you do, you'll have one of those culinary treasures…
Do you have some creamy balsamic vinegar? Add some, you'll love it. But cautiously choose your vinegar dressings as they contain a lot of sugar and stabilizers…
What to serve with lentils?
You can serve this rich and fragrant red lentil stew with rice, quinoa or chapatis aka flatbread. But it's also a filling hearty dish on its own if you have a big serving.
Make a batch of this red lentils recipe and you've a 5 days meal. I've not frozen this recipe yet, I'll let you know in the future if you can freeze it due to tomatoes.
You can substitute carrots with potatoes, and you can opt for canned tomatoes especially when they're not in season.
I am leaving you with this delicious and healthy red lentils recipe with fresh tomatoes, I hope you'll enjoy it as we do. "Customize" it to your liking.
"When you encounter a problem, don't focus on it. FOCUS ONLY on how to solve it. The problem has already happened, you can't change that fact, but you can change its consequence…"
I love you, Githu.
Check these lentils healthy recipes
- Simple sweet potato curry with lentils
- Fluffy vegan pancakes with red lentils
- Millet with beluga lentils
- The most delicious black lentils recipe
Healthy red lentils recipe with fresh tomatoes
- Large pan or saucepan
- Cooking spoon
Healthy red lentils tomato recipe
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 tablespoon cold-pressed oil of your choice
- 11/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 big onion or 2 medium
- 6 cloves of garlic or less if you don't like too much garlic
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dust of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (about 400g) soaked and drained red lentils
- 2 cups (480ml) broth at room temperature
- 2 lemons
- few leaves of fresh basil or fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon balsamic creamy vinegar (without sugar please) optional
Healthy red lentils tomato recipe
- In a large pan or saucepan bring diced carrots with 1 tbs of oil in medium-high heat, add a little of paprika
- Stir well and cover, let the carrots cook till you get crispy edges about 8 min
- Take the crispy carrots from the pan and set them aside
- In the same pan, add cumin seeds and give them a minute to give out the flavor before you add minced garlic and diced onions
- Add the rest of the oil, stir and cover to cook for about 8 mins till fragrant, stirring now & then
- Sprinkle with the salt, the remaining paprika, cayenne and mix well
- Add diced tomatoes and cook them for about 8 mins
- Bring in the drained red lentils, fold them in and cover for 2 mins
- Add the vegetable broth, stir gently, increase the heat till the broth starts to boil
- Once the boiling starts, lower the heat
- Simmer for 5 mins or so if you want very soft lentils, don't overcook though.
- Cut off the heat
- Scoop some of the lentils, the tomatoes skins, and some carrots and blend into a thick sauce then add the sauce back to the cooked lentils and mix everything well
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the remaining carrots. Squeeze 1 lemon over the stew, if you want to add sliced lemon then slice the other lemon.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning...
- Serve this healthy red lentils tomato recipe with rice quinoa, flatbread/chapati/naan, etc
- Enjoy and please do rate this recipe, share and subscribe for more recipes kisses😘