Enjoy the most delicious rhubarb recipe with radish greens! Packed with high nutrients, this radish greens recipe is so simple and comes in 10 mins Chrono. Your best bet for weight loss, and it's your anti-inflammatory savory rhubarb recipe busting with different flavors
Rhubarb recipe with radish greens, I am in love with this dish!
Seriously, would you expect a rhubarb recipe to be sweet and comforting without adding sugar in it?
This rhubarb recipe is so easy and very quick to cook, actually, most efforts come from cleaning, dicing and chopping the veggies.
Cooking itself takes only 8 minutes! and the memory of such a savory rhubarb side dish lasts a lifetime hahaha.
Can I confide in you?
I only tasted my first rhubarb on May 12, 2017, it was my first purchase of rhubarb, I was so proud of myself to have taken that step to finally try this vegetable. Astonishingly enough, I cooked it with zucchini. I never liked the idea of adding sugar on rhubarb or in food in general.
I now long for Spring to come so that I can have as much rhubarb as I can. If you're a rhubarb lover, I know you're already planning when you're going to make this beautiful rhubarb recipe.
On another note, we've here radish greens. That might sound new to you, right? I guarantee you, this dish is delicious with radish greens and rhubarb. The mix is not common, but this is me!
If you have never tried rhubarb, then be curious enough and give this rhubarb recipe with radish greens a trial. It has a tart-sour taste wrapped in with the sweet floral nutty flavor of coconut cream.
Make sure to use coconut cream and not milk.
Add to that the sweet-savory taste of cardamom. Open the pods and get the tiny seeds in a pan (I used about 6 pods), with each bite you are chewing and releasing the sweet flavor of cardamom seeds oh my! so so sweeeeet!
Fold that together with fresh aroma of cilantro, mama mia!
This savory rhubarb with radish greens side dish has a lot to offer you besides the fact that it's so delicious.
- Rhubarb is a good source of Calcium, Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium and other minerals. High in vitamin C which will help boost your immune system and vitamin K for your bone health.
- Did you know that rhubarb has been used since ancient times in Chinese Traditional medicine?
- Besides being used to balance Yin and Yang, rhubarb was known to reduce constipation and cleansing the body of the heat which will, in turn, promote elimination. In our modern world, rhubarb has been studied and several pharmacological activities have been attributed to it.
- Rhubarb is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, antifungal, antivirus, and is immune-enhancing, etc…
- Rhubarb has shown to significantly improve gastrointestinal functions, for example, treatment with rhubarb has revealed effective in gastrointestinal bleeding.
- It has also shown some good effects on Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS) and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndromes (MODS).
- Rhubarb has lots of antioxidants that will improve your health by fighting oxidative stress. Parietin is an orange pigment found in rhubarb.
- Parietin helps the plant absorb blue light from the sun and protects it from UV light. In a study, this pigment was capable of destroying tumors almost immediately.
Yes, I know, I was there too! you buy your radishes and toss the radish greens in the dustbin! they're full of soil anyway and no way you want to waste your time cleaning all that mess ha!
But if you only knew!
The irony is that we throw the most nutritious part of radishes! radish greens are more nutrients dense than their roots!
- The radish greens are loaded with vitamins A & C, with minerals like Iron, Calcium, etc…
- When compared to roots, radish greens possessed a high level of proteins, calcium and vitamin C than the roots
- Radish greens have 4 times flavonoids compared to their roots
- They're rich in dietary fiber, which will help you improve your digestion. Besides, these leaves are very delicious.
- Radish leaves were found to reduce intestinal glucose absorption, which can help people with diabetes and also in the case of weight management.
- They're also anti-inflammatory and will help detoxify toxins from your body.
Make sure to buy radishes that are fresh with bright colored leaves. The leaves don't store well so No more than a day or two in your fridge. You can toss them in a fresh salad or in savory recipes like this with rhubarb.
Voilà, you have a couple of reasons to put this nutritious rhubarb recipe with radish greens in your menu.
Support me by sharing and pinning this recipe. Don't go without subscribing, I'll post you my new recipes... be blessed.
I love you, Githu.
Rhubarb recipe with radish greens
Easy Savory Rhubarb with Radish Leaves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 1 cups scallions (only the greens)
- Bunch radish leaves (without stems)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 stem rhubarb (big or 4 small) Depending on how much you love rhubarb
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro or herbs of your choice the more the better
- 1 handful chives (optional)
Clean, chop & dice everything ahead, the cooking goes very fast
- In a large pan smash the cardamom to release the seeds, reserve the skin for a cup of tea.
- Heat the cardamom seeds on medium high heat for about 2 mins.
- Add garlic and cover for a minute
- Add the olive oil, stir well.
- Add the scallions with the radish leaves, stir and cover to cook for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then add the coconut cream. Stir and cover
- Let the cream start bubbling then add the rhubarb, stir and cover for a minute.
- Turn off the heat, let the rhubarb to cook with the vapor for about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, I used cilantro and chives, fold in gently to avoid breaking the rhubarb.
- Serve when still warm as a side dish. Bon appetit
- Thank you for pinning and sharing this recipe.
- If you love rhubarb, then don't hesitate to use more, but if you're trying out this recipe and you are not familiar with the tangy tart taste of rhubarb, then start with just a little.
- If you chop your rhubarb too thin, it will lose the texture and disintegrate, on the other hand, don't chop them too think, unless you prolong the cooking.