Enjoy a hearty delicious meal of millet and beluga lentils. Pan-roasted carrots add the crunchy and sweet flavor.
Hi gorgeous, how're you doing? in my last post, I showed you how to cook a fluffy pearl millet the best way. Here I've a savory-sweet millet recipe with beluga lentils just for you.
This millet recipe marry different textures and flavors. Add your best healthy sauce to bring a little heaven over your head lol.
Folk and knife! let's dig into this simple yet very healthy vegetarian meal.
Once you learn how to make a fluffy pearl millet, you can enjoy it in very many different ways. Millet is versatile, from breakfast to dinner, as baby food, to making bread and cookies.
I left you some awesome details as for why millet is good for you in how to cook millet the best way
I can see you opening the Google search! Beluga is a white whale and also a type of fish.
Beluga lentils are just the regular black lentils that you might know, they're referred as beluga due to their shiny and glistering resemblance (after cooking), to caviar that comes from beluga fish, (which lives up to 118 year or more!… that's amazing! don't you find?)
Nutrition in beluga lentils
Beluga lentils come with a lot of healthy goodies, they're packed with high quantities of proteins and essential amino acids. They're a good meat substitute for vegans and whole plant dieters.
- Lentils, in general, have a high percentage of starch among the pulses and are rich in insoluble dietary fiber.
- They're known to be a good source of prebiotics that will help to keep up your gut microbiome and hence prevent gut-associated diseases.
- Furthermore, lentils are high in minerals like Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Folate, Thiamine, Copper, Manganese, and others…
Healthy benefits of black lentils
- Beluga black lentils have anthocyanin, which gives them their dark color.
- Anthocyanins pigments, that are also found in purple, dark blue, and red fruits and veggies are antioxidants that have shown to protect against various diseases.
- Overall, lentils are considered as one of the best dietary sources that have health-promoting effects on various illnesses.
- Among others, lentils are rich in Polyphenols, which gives them the potential health benefits and are used in complementary and alternative medicines.
- Polyphenols in lentils are exerted in the form of antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, anticancer, and anti-obesity among others.
Why you should make this Fluffy millet recipe with beluga lentils
- This millet recipe with lentils is a great source of insoluble fiber which will help you with digestion and easing digestive issues.
- lt also will help you in protecting your heart as both have the ability to reduce cholesterol.
- You'll have a good amount of plant proteins if you're avoiding animal products
- This millet recipe is great for weight loss as they have proteins and fiber which will prevent you from craving.
- Additionally, millet & beluga lentils are low in Glycemic Index, therefore, they'll help balance your blood sugar levels, and as a result, help you in managing your weight
How to cook black lentils
- There are various ways to cook beluga (black) lentils because unlike other lentils, they hold firmly well after cooking.
- Cook them in an instant pot if you want to go real quick
- You can also leave them in a crockpot or a slow cooker as you leave for your day and you'll have your dinner ready.
- I opt for a normal pan cooking, and if you're like me, then here is how it goes…
- It's easy and simple to cook these black lentils, you just need to cook your onions with ginger and garlic combo in oil for about 5 mins at medium-high heat. You can add any spices of your choice.
- Rinse your black lentils and add them to the cooking onions, add boiling water, stir and cover to let the cooking happen
- Let the water evaporate almost completely. Salt and season with pepper if you want to.
- You can use your leftover black lentils to make a delicious salad or soup.
Assembling fluffy millet recipe with beluga lentils
Once your black lentils are cooked with some liquid left, bring in your fluffy pearl millet, some crispy carrot that you'll have baked in your oven or pan-roasted in a pan.
Add some any sauce of your choice, I used some creamy banana sauce that I had in the fridge.
Leave me a comment here below, let me know how you found this savory meal.
My love to you, Githu.
Here you've more millet recipe
- Overnight millet recipe with rhubarb-strawberry
- Prune-mint sauteed mushrooms with millet
- Millet recipe with spiced beetroot
- Healthy millet breakfast with peaches
Millet recipe with beluga lentils
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- piece ginger
- spices of your choice
- 1 tbsp olive / coconut oil
- 1 cup beluga black lentils
- 21/2 cups boiling water
- pinch salt
- 4 large carrots
- 1/2 tsp olive /coconut oil just for brushing the baking pan
- spice mix of hot and spicy spices
- 1 cup cooked fluffy pearl millet
- 1/2 cup cream of your choice
- Cut the carrot thinly into any shape you desire
- I a pan bring your spices to heat in medium heat, then add oil and them cook for a min
- Add the slices of carrot and cook them till crispy, (be careful they don't burn)
- Remove the carrots from the pan. Set them aside.
Cooking beluga lentils
- In the same pan that cooked the carrots, diced onions, and the coconut oil and cook for 2 mins at high-medium heat
- Add spices, pressed garlic and ginger, let them cook for 2 mins
- Add cleaned beluga and stir well. Add the boiling water and simmer according to the instruction on the package (normally 25 min)
- Add salt at the end when the lentils are cooked
- I a salad bowl, add cooked millet, beluga lentils, and your cream
- Mix well and taste
- Serve in the plates and sprinkle with the crispy carrots