Enjoy this hearty delicious meal of millet and beluga lentils. With pan-roasted carrots which add crispy texture, this millet recipe is flavorful, savory, and sweet. It's a quick and easy millet recipe if you have millet and lentils leftovers.
Hi gorgeous, how're you doing? in my last post, I showed you how to cook millet the best way. Now we're going to use that millet and make this savory-sweet millet recipe with beluga lentils. You'll need some roasted carrots as well.
This millet recipe marries different textures and flavors. Add your best healthy creamy sauce to bring a little heaven over your head lol.
Folk and knife! let's dig into this simple yet very delicious and healthy vegetarian meal.
Once you learn how to make millet, you can enjoy it in very many different ways. Millet is versatile, from millet breakfast to simple quick dinner with millet as baby food, to making bread and cookie. And even making gluten-free pancakes.
I left you some awesome details as to why millet is good for you in how to cook millet the best way
I can see you opening uncle Google! Beluga is a white whale and also a type of fish.
Beluga lentils are just the regular black lentils that you might know, they're referred to as beluga due to their shiny and glistering resemblance (after cooking), to caviar that comes from beluga fish (which lives up to 118 year or more!… that's amazing! don't you find?)
Healthy benefits of black lentils
- Beluga lentils come with a lot of health benefits, they're packed with high quantities of proteins and essential amino acids. They're a good meat substitute for vegans and whole plant dieters
- Lentils, in general, have a high percentage of starch among the pulses and are rich in insoluble dietary fiber.
- They're known to be a good source of prebiotics that will help to keep up your gut microbiome and hence prevent gut-associated diseases.
- Furthermore, lentils are high in minerals like Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Folate, Thiamine, Copper, Manganese, and others…
- Beluga black lentils have anthocyanin, which gives them their dark color.
- Anthocyanin pigments, which are also found in purple, dark blue, and red fruits and veggies are antioxidants that have shown to protect against various diseases.
- Overall, lentils are considered as one of the best dietary sources that have health-promoting effects on various illnesses.
- Among others, lentils are rich in Polyphenols, which give them potential health benefits and are used in complementary and alternative medicines.
- Polyphenols in lentils are present in the form of antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, anticancer, and anti-obesity among others.
Why you should make this millet recipe
- This millet recipe with beluga lentils is a great source of insoluble fiber which will help you with digestion and easing digestive issues.
- Also, it'll help you in protecting your heart as both millet and lentils have the ability to reduce cholesterol.
- You'll have a good amount of plant proteins if you're avoiding animal products
- This millet recipe is great for weight loss because it has proteins and fiber which will keep you satiated hence prevent you from craving sugary snacks.
- Additionally, millet & beluga lentils are low in Glycemic Index, therefore, they'll help balance your blood sugar levels, and as a result, help you in managing your weight
How to cook black lentils
- There are various ways to cook black lentils because unlike other lentils, they hold firmly well after cooking.
- Cook them in an instant pot if you want to go real quick
- You can also leave them in a crockpot or a slow cooker as you leave for your day and you'll have your dinner ready.
- I opt for the normal stovetop cooking method, and if you're like me, then here is how it goes…
- Clean the black lentils, you don't need to soak them.
- In a saucepan bring onions with ginger and garlic in oil for about 5 mins at medium-high heat. You can add any spices of your choice.
- Stir now and then.
- Add the cleaned black lentils to the cooking onions, add boiling water or vegetable broth, stir, cover and bring to boil
- Simmer for about 25 minutes
- Let the water/broth evaporate but not completely. Salt and season with pepper if you want to.
- You can use your leftover black lentils to make a delicious lentils salad or soup.
Assembling millet, beluga lentils, & crispy carrots
Once your black lentils are cooked with some liquid left, bring in your fluffy millet, some of the crispy carrots that you'll have roasted in your oven, or pan-roasted on a stovetop.
Add some any sauce of your choice, I used some creamy banana sauce that I had in the fridge. Mix all together, and serve.
Top each plate with the rest of carrots. Now it's time to sit down and enjoy this hearty and sweet millet dish with beluga lentils.
Leave me a comment here below, let me know how you found this savory meal.
My love to you, Githu.
You've here more recipes with millet
- Overnight millet recipe with rhubarb-strawberry
- Prune-mint sauteed mushrooms with millet
- Millet recipe with spiced beetroot
- Overnight millet recipe with rhubarb chutney
Millet recipe with beluga lentils
- a pan
- A saucepan
- A sharp knife
- A chopping board
- a cooking wooden spoon
beluga lentils stew
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- piece ginger (small)
- 1 teaspoon spices of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive / coconut oil
- 1 cup beluga black lentils
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- pinch salt
- 4 large carrots
- ½ tablespoon olive /coconut oil just for brushing the baking pan
- ½ teaspoon spice mix of hot and spicy spices
- 1 cup cooked fluffy pearl millet
- ½ cup cream of your choice
- Clean the carrots and tap dry them
- Cut the carrot thinly into any shape you desire
- You can roast them in an oven, but for a quick roasting pan-roasting will be better
- In a pan bring your spices to heat in medium heat, then add oil and them cook for a min
- Add the slices of carrot and cook them till crispy, (be careful they don't burn)
- Remove the carrots from the pan. Set them aside.
Black Lentils Recipe
- Clean the black lentils, you don't have to soak them.
- In a saucepan add diced onions, and the coconut oil and cook for 2 minutes at high-medium heat
- Add spices, pressed or grated garlic, and ginger, let them cook for 2 mins
- Add cleaned beluga and stir well for about 2-3 minutes. Keep on stirring now and then
- Add the boiling water or vegetable broth
- Stir well and bring to boil, then simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Let the cooking evaporate but not completely
- Add salt at the end when the lentils are cooked
Assembling millet, lentils, and carrots
- In a salad bowl, add cooked millet, beluga lentils, some of the roasted carrots, and cream of your choice
- Mix well and taste to adjust the seasoning
- Serve in the plates and then top with the rest of crispy carrots
- I hope you'll appreciate it, thank you for sharing this recipe