Learn how to make homemade applesauce with just 3 ingredients. Use your stovetop to make this easy applesauce in just 30 mins. Learn how you can heal your gut and prevent diseases by eating homemade applesauce.
Hi my dear friend, I hope this homemade applesauce recipe finds you well, let's make this applesauce together as I show you how easy and beneficial it is.
Do you know how to make homemade applesauce? If you don't then it's high time you learn how to make it. Seriously, applesauce is so easy to make and you don't need to stand by the stove to watch it cook!
Now is the best time of the year to start making applesauce as apples are now well-ripened and that means with sweet apples you'll make a no sugar homemade applesauce.
How do you make applesauce from the scratch?"
Oh, making applesauce is so easy and simple. Unlike many recipes that you'll come across, our homemade applesauce recipe doesn't call for peeling the apples, because that's where you find most of the dietary fiber.
You just need
- Well-ripened apples of different varieties for more health benefits
- A cup of water
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- Cut your apples in cubes avoiding the core, store the cores in your fridge using a freezer bag to make a vegetable broth with scraps.
- Using your blender blend the cinnamon sticks into powder. Sieve to get the fine cinnamon powder.
- In a saucepan bring the apples to simmer in a cup of water. Sprinkle with the freshly grounded cinnamon. Cook for 30mins, voilà.
- Let the homemade applesauce cool down. Now you can decide to leave it as it is or use your blender to smooth it. Blended applesauce is ideal to include in different recipes, it's also fit for kids especially babies.
"I've no idea what apples to use"
What apples are the best to make homemade applesauce?
Practically, most apples can be cooked to make applesauce especially if you'll blend the end result.
But apples like
- Golden delicious,
- Granny smith,
are apples you can mix to make deliciously flavored applesauce.
"What benefits do I get from applesauce?"
Is applesauce good for you?
Apples due to their high fiber content and phenolic compounds, protect us against chronic diseases. When the apple's fiber reaches the intestines it feeds the gut microbiome which in turn will produce Short Chaine Fatty Acids (SCFA).
SCFA is the nutrition of the cells that line your colon. There is evidence that SCFA plays an important role in the maintenance of health and the development of diseases.
SCFA are anti-inflammatory. Therefore, eating applesauce which is high in fiber will help heal your gut's digestive disorders like
- healing of the leaky gut
- reducing constipation by regulating bowel movements
- reducing inflammation caused by diarrhea.
- healing Irritable Bowel Disease.
Apple pectin (fiber) can reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering the level of cholesterol. Studies have linked the consumption of apples with reduced risk of some cancer, asthma, and diabetes.
" I got that, thanks, but how can I use applesauce?"
What to do with homemade applesauce
The most obvious would to scoop some in a small bowl and just enjoy it as a snack or dessert.
However, you can opt to
- make applesauce pancakes like these buckwheat pancakes with applesauce,
- or you can add it in your smoothies,
- I love yogurt mixed with applesauce,
- Add some homemade applesauce into your overnight oats,
- Bake with applesauce, etc...
"I get you. If I make a batch of homemade applesauce, how long can I keep it?"
How to store homemade applesauce
Once your applesauce has cooled down, transfer it into clean airtight mason jars and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Every time you are serving the applesauce make sure to use a clean spoon and to wipe the rim of the jar. Tightly close and return it in the fridge.
"Thank you so much, it's very informative."
"Pleasure is all mine, I hope now you can enjoy making no sugar homemade applesauce quite often".
Don't forget to share and pin this recipe. Let's share our opinions by commenting here below. Stay safe, keep healing... till next
My love to you, Githu.
How to make homemade applesauce
- A big saucepan
- A Blender
- A sharp chef's knife
- 1 kg riped apples (8-10 medium apples)
- 1 cup water
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- Clean and cut the apples into pieces avoiding the cores
- Bring all the apples in the saucepan and put on the heat at high
- Add water
- Use your blender to blend the cinnamon sticks (If the bowl of your blender isn't strong, break the cinnamon sticks into chuncks then blend)
- Sieve the cinnamon to get the freshly grounded cinnamon powder and add it into the apples
- Once the cooking starts lower the heat to medium low
- Simmer for 30 mins, Stir and let it cool
- You can blend the cooked apples into a smooth applesauce or you can divide and have some with chunks
- Thank you for sharing and pinning this recipe