Smoked paprika adds smoky aroma and flavor to this baked tofu and the orange juice adds sweetness making this tofu recipe yummy.
Hi hi, here it is, it's perfectly dressed in velvet red lol!
Yes, I present you baked tofu in smoked paprika.
We love this baked tofu, it's spicy and smoky with a sweet orange flavor.
This baked tofu recipe features firm tofu, smoked paprika, orange juice, and baobab powder.
Ahem! What is baked tofu?
Good question, tofu is made from soybean milk. It's condensed and compressed in blocks of which some are hard(firm/extra firm) and others soft.
Tofu has a chewy cheese kinda texture but has practically no distinguished taste. That's why is it's great to leave it to marinate for long in smoked paprika to make a yummy baked tofu.
Is baked tofu healthy?
Oh yes, tofu is very healthy and has health benefits.
It's easily digestible, is a good source of protein and contains all of the 9 essential amino acids that are vital.
It's an excellent source of calcium, iron, and some minerals, such as manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and zinc.
Tofu can help in protecting against cancer and heart disease as soybeans do.
But, don't add processed stuff like sugar, low-quality soy sauce, high-sodium sauces to make your baked tofu because you'll end up with unhealthy tofu.
You mentioned baobab, what's that?
Baobab powder comes from baobab trees, an African heritage because baobabs are huge trees of hundreds and hundreds of years.
From the baobab fruits, we get a pale white powder that has a lot of health benefits.
For instance, baobab has high vitamin C than most fruits and vegetables. It's also a good source of calcium and dietary fiber.
Baobab powder is a bit acidic due to the high level of vitamin C. It's an anti-inflammatory.
Okay, how do you prepare baked tofu?
Oh yes, start by pressing the tofu, we are using extra-firm tofu that you'll press with kitchen paper to drain off the excess water.
Then you need to make the marinating sauce with smoked paprika, orange juice, and baobab.
Cut the tofu and dip it in the marinating sauce, make sure to cover every part of tofu with the sauce. Leave the tofu to marinate for at least 12hrs.
Once baked, baked tofu can be served with dishes that call for meat or in a salad like the one here below.
If you've never used smoked paprika before, start with a little amount, smoked paprika has a strong flavor.
I am waiting to read from you, do leave a comment.
My love to you, Githu.
Baked tofu in smoked paprika
- A large bowl
- A baking tin
Smoked paprika marinating sauce
- 3 tbs baobab powder
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- 160 ml freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 200 grams extra firm tofu
- Start by pressing the tofu with kitchen paper or towel to get rid of excess water
- In a bowl bring all the dry ingredients for the marinating sauce
- Add the orange juice gradually as you keep on mixing the sauce
- The sauce should be creamy and not flowing just like a yogurt
- Insert a very sharp thin knife or a toothpick in the tofu without breaking it, this will facilitate the marinating sauce to penetrate in the tofu
- Cut the tofu into rectangles or any shape you'd prefer
- Bring the tofu in the bowl, mix gently, one by one till all is covered with the sauce
- Cover the bowl and store in the fridge for at least 8 hours
- Transfer the marinated tofu gently into the baking pan and bake @180° for about 50-60 mins
- You can grate un lemon zest if you have a lemon in the house (it's optional)
- Serve while warm or cold.
- You're awesome, pin this recipe and sharing it out, I love you.