Seriously, this is one of the most delicious and super simple beet salads. The sweet flavor of cooked beets pairs so well with that of roasted butternut squash. The oregano vinaigrette brings a high note of flavor making this simple beet salad perfect for gatherings or a special dinner treat!
Dear lovely, I've got this special treat for you. It's a super simple beets salad with butternut. Far from the classic beet salad with feta, you'll fall in love with this salad's deliciousness. A salad that you'll want to share with your guests or with your significant other on a romantic weekend evening.
The beauty of this salad promises its deliciousness!
This beets salad is super delicious and very easy to make. The sweet flavor of cooked beets pairs so well with roasted butternut squash. The capers and lemon zest bring in the acidity without overpowering the other flavors. The oregano vinaigrette is really amazing, it brings that oregano taste that you'll appreciate.
I know you love quick and simple recipes, don't you? This beet salad is as simple, but you need to cook the beets, the broccoli florets and roast the butternut ahead of time.
This butternut salad with beets has a dynamic of flavors. It has nutritional yeast that adds that cheesy taste, carpers bring a tangy acidic taste, lemon zest that you can replace with orange, and I spice it all with a little dust of cayenne. Feel free to leave it out.
While this beet salad is vegan, you can add some fresh goat cheese if you wish to. I'd not recommend feta as it's very high in salt.
Drizzle this beet salad with an oregano vinegarette made with coconut or balsamic vinegar, and you'll be in a little heaven!
How to cook beets
There are different options to cook beets depending on which one you prefer.
1. Pressure cooker: This is the quickest method.
2. Roasting: You can either choose to roast whole beets as they are in this case, choose small beets. However, you can cut beets into pieces after peeling them.
3. Steaming: Place a large saucepan on a stovetop, add water, place a steaming basket, then beets. Steam the beets on high heat as this method takes a longer time. You can opt to cut the beets, but remember to use the steaming water.
4. Boiling: This is the method I use most as it's fast and easy.
- Clean your beets, don't peel them,
- Place the beets in a saucepan with a lid,
- Add water to cover the beets. Place a lid to cover the saucepan,
- Place on a stovetop at the highest heat level till the water starts to boil,
- Reduce the heat to medium heat, let the beet boil till cooked,
- Check the cooking by inserting a toothpick or a thin sharp knife in one of the beets,
- The beets are cooked if the knife/toothpick goes inside easily.
- Boiling can go from 30mins-50mins depending on the size and the amount of heat.
To use the beets for this beets salad, wait for them to cool completely. They peel quite easily when cooked. Ideally, it would be better to cook the beets the day or days before.
Unpeeled, cooked beets can be stored in a fridge wrapped in kitchen paper then placed in a container with a lid for up to 7 days.
Additionally, you can buy already cooked beets. I sometimes buy these in the farmers' market or the grocery stores.
Can you meal prep this beet salad?
Yes, but! The best would be to prepare the main ingredients (beets, butternut, broccoli) in advance and individually.
Assemble this beet salad not more than 30mins ahead.
- This is because the beets will stain the butternut.
- The nutritional yeast will be soaked up by the beets and the butternut
- Capers, if left for long will acidify the other ingredient in contact with it.
I hope you'll be amazed by the deliciousness of this beets salad, a unique way to serve beets in a salad.
I've made this salad for several couples for their romantic events, and they loved it giving it a note of 9/10.
This beet salad is featured in The Devil Eats Salad 2021 magazine. All the reasons to make you try it out as well.
I'm looking forward to reading from you on how you and your guests loved this beets salad.
My love to you, Githu.
Check on these delicous salad
- The best beets salad for you
- 8 healthy benefits of cabbage
- Celeriac slow
- A tasty salad with tempeh & fresh green beans
Super simple beet salad with butternut
- Sharp knife
- small plates
- mason jar
Oregano Vinegraitte to make a day before
- 2 tablespoons Coconut/balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt. if possible non processed.
Beet salad with butternut
- Half of an average-sized roasted butternut squash. (part without seeds)
- 2 cups Small broccoli florets
- 2 Cooked beets (medium size)
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest (can be replaced with orange zest)
- Some roasted pumpkin seeds
- Some black pepper & cayenne (option)
- Some salt for cooking broccoli
- A dust of very fine bicarbonate of soda
Make the oregano vinaigrette a day before
- In a small mason jar, with an airtight lid, Add all the ingredients,
- Close the jar tightly and shake vigorously to mix the ingredients,
- Leave the vinaigrette to infuse for a day.
Beets, butternut & broccoli make ahead of time
- Roast a whole butternut (click to go to the recipe)
- Roast, boil, or steam beets (you can also buy already cooked beets)
- In a heated pan, quickly sauté the broccoli florets in about 2 minutes. Dust a pinch of salt & bicarbonate over the broccoli while they're still cooking.
- The broccoli should be crunchy, not overcooked. Remove them from the pan immediately to stop further cooking. Store in your fridge to cool.
Assembling beet salad with butternut
- Slice the butternut into discs. (You don't necessarily need to peel it but for your guests I recommend it) Place the discs on a small plate
- Peel the beets and slice them as you did with the butternut,
- Now, interchange the beets slices with butternut to form a beautiful pattern as in the photo above.
- Sprinkle the broccoli florets all over
- Using your fingers, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, the lemon zest, the capers, and the pumpkin seeds
- Finish with a dust of cayenne and black pepper. (Omit the cayenne if you don't spicy food)
- Shake the bottle with oregano vinaigrette and drizzle all over the salad
- You can serve this salad on individual plates repeating the process or serve it on a large platter like on a buffet.
- I only include the time to assemble this salad. Preparations of the main ingredients and the vinaigrette should be done a day or two before.
- Do not assemble this butternut beets salad in advance, because the beets
will stain the butternut if left in contact for long.
- However, you can prepare separately the ingredients in advance.
- The nutritional yeast will be soaked up by beets if the salad is assembled
- You can use steamed broccoli instead.
- You can use nuts and/or seeds of your choice