This spicy low-carb sweet potato stew is all you need to enjoy a delicious vegan meal.
Hi, my dear friend, want a sweet potato stew that's not a sweet potato curry and calls for very simple and easy-to-find ingredients that you might even have in your pantry?
Spicy sweet potato stew is easy & simple to make, for a busy day or when you're too tired to cook an elaborated sweet potato recipe.
I cook this hearty sweet potato stew with fresh turmeric, ginger, and fennel seeds to make it a super anti-inflammatory meal.
Sweet potatoes are anti-inflammatory, but I wanted to double that dose with spices, while still making this stew delicious and satisfying.
Peeling Sweet Potatoes: Should you or not?
- If you're getting sweet potatoes from your garden, or direct from an organic farm, then you don't need to peel off the skin.
- Sweet potato's skin has a lot of fiber, and since most of the antioxidants are concentrated on the skin, you should eat it.
- But, if you are not sure where the sweet potatoes came from, soak them in some bicarbonate of soda for about 10 minutes before cooking them.
- However, some sweet potato recipes like this sweet potato chili, will need you peel the sweet potatoes.
What will You Need for this Low-Carb Sweet Potato Stew?
- Spices: You can use curry madras, chana masala, cumin, smoked paprika, or any spices that you like. My choice of spice is based on anti-inflammation properties.
- Onions: I cooked with orange onions, but red or white will also be okay to use.
- Tomatoes: for this potato stew recipe, I used fresh tomatoes, but you can opt for canned tomatoes, just make sure there's no sugar added.
- Sweet potatoes: Go for firm, freshly harvested sweet potatoes. Avoid sweet potatoes with stains on cuts on the skin. Choose small to medium size sweet potatoes as they are easy to cut and are sweeter compared to big sweet potatoes. Avoid purple sweet potatoes for this stew, they will give the purple color out.
- Spinach: If you can fresh spinach, it would be great! but if not in season, then frozen spinach will do. But the cooking mode will differ. Thaw them before cooking, and cook them at the same time as the sweet potatoes.
- Beans: I sometimes cook beans from scratch when I've enough time. However, in this sweet potato stew, I used canned beans. Check that they have no sugar added, and if possible no salt as well.
Why you'll Love this Vegan Sweet Potato Stew
1- What you'll love about this recipe beside it being super healthy and deliciously spicy is that you can make it as meal prep and have it for 3-4 days.
2- Besides being an anti-inflammatory recipe, this meal has proteins, fiber, fat, and healthy carbs.
It's a meal on its own if you're following a weight loss diet.
3- It's simple, easy and with basic ingrédients.
I've included some step-by-step photos that you can follow. They'll help you to make this spicy healthy sweet potato stew.
If you can't chop raw sweet potato, roast or boil them first, before adding them to the stew. I've put together an easy-to-follow guide on how to boil sweet potatoes.
You can also pulse your onions in your blender or use your food processor if you aren't upto manually chopping them .
Enjoy this spicy sweet potato stew and I do thank you for sharing it.
I wish you a lovely time, let's heal with each meal…
My love to you, Githu.
Check on these sweet potato recipes
Spicy healthy sweet potato stew
- A large pan
- A sharp kitchen knife
- A chopping board
- A wooden cooking spoon
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- a small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric root
- 2 medium size onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes or 1 medium
- pinch of salt
- well ripe tomatoes (about 4 medium sizes)
- 600 grams drained canned beans= 1 can of 800g (without sugar and if possible without salt)
- 1 kg of fresh spinach (you can also use thawed spinach)
- a piece of red pepper (optional)
- Start by cleaning the veggies and removing the spinach stems. 5-7 minutes
- At the same time, place a large pan on a low heat and put fennel seeds, dry basil, and turmeric then cover the pan
- Using your knife, (or use a vegetable grater) mince the garlic, turmeric, and ginger, add them to the pan, increase the heat to medium and cover the pan as you dice the onions (2 minutes)
- Bring the onions in the pan and using your cooking spoon, stir everything together, add oil and stir again. Bring the heat to medium-high. Cover the pan, cook these for about 3 minutes, keep stirring now and then
- During that time dice the sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces
- Add them into the onions, stir and cover to cook for 8 mins, stirring now and then
- The time you dice your tomatoes and the hot pepper
- Now put the tomatoes and pepper in the pan stir well and cover, let these simmer for about 5 minutes
- Add drained beans and fresh spinach, cover for 3 mins just to warm up the beans
- Stir delicately and cut the heat, cover to let the heat cook the spinach.
- Serve when still hot with some rice, quinoa, or chapattis.
- I hope you'll love this sweet potato stew, thank you for sharing it. Be blessed.
- I cook as I prepare the veggies so I don't have a preparation time. It took me 35 mins to prepare this dish, it obviously will depend on how fast you can chop & dice, some of us will have difficulties, so please don't be stressed with time. Go at your own pace, the importance is to enjoy yourself as you cook and to love what you made.
- Keep in mind that the spinach will shrink massively once cooked