This delicious and simple sweet potato curry with red lentils is vegan, healthy, low in calories, and budget-friendly.
Hi lovely, I hope you and yours are doing great and in good health. Talking about health, let me share with you this hearty sweet potato curry.
It's deliciously spiced with Indian curry, fresh turmeric, ginger, garlic, and fresh cilantro. You squeeze a fresh lemon shortly before serving, and I guarantee that you'll love this sweet potato curry.
A lot of people ask me what to do with their extra sweet potatoes. And I understand them so well, when I was little, the only way sweet potatoes were consumed was either by baking them in very hot ash or by boiling them!
If you too, want another sweet potato recipe like this sweet potato chili, then embrace this new curry recipe. It's tender, spicy, and mmmm...
I make this sweet potato curry with red lentils and zucchini to make it a whole dish that has proteins, carb, and dietary fiber. I add some coconut milk, but you can add cream of your choice.
This curry recipe has one foot on the stew side while the other is on the soup side. You can opt to mix it into a smooth soup especially for small kids. We love the chunky tender sweet potatoes bites, and chewing is a good way to stay in good health.
Yummy, this lentil curry is really delicious and filling, you don't need anything else, I promise.
This curry recipe is made with fresh turmeric, red chili, fresh ginger, and fresh garlic to maximize its healing power as they are all anti-inflammatory.
Why Should You Try This Sweet Potato Curry?
- Because it's delicious
- It's filling, you don't have to eat something else
- It has all macro-nutrients (protein, fat, carbs)
- A very budget-conscious recipe
- It's easy and quick to make, roughly 25 mins on a stove
- You can store it for up to a week in your fridge
- A perfect weight loss recipe
- It has anti-inflammatory components to help you fight inflammation.
- You can replace sweet potato with potatoes
- You can replace red lentils with green lentils but the cooking time will differ
- Prefer soaking the red lentils for 1-2 hours to soften them, and to reduce the cooking time.
- To maximize the flavors, prefer using a vegetable broth instead of plain water.
- I used coconut milk for a light dinner, but feel free to use creamy coconut milk.
- Make this curry as part of your meal prep, it can store for up to 5 days in your fridge.
My friend, I hope you'll have a great time enjoying this simple sweet potato curry with red lentil. Thank you for being here, and share this recipe out on Facebook and Pinterest, please.
I love you, Githu.
Get more sweet potato recipes
- The best and healthiest sweet potato recipe
- Spicy healthy sweet potato stew
- Healthy pan-roasted sweet potato salad
- Delicious healthy sweet potato breakfast
- Massaged kale salad with smoky chickpeas
Simple sweet potato curry with red lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
- 1 root fresh turmeric
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 11/2 cup sweet potato (diced)
- 11/2 cup zucchini cut in cubes
- 1 teaspoon Indian spice
- dust of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils ( soaked & drained)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- a small piece of red pepper (optional)
- a handful of fresh cilantro or fresh herb of your choice
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Clean and dice your veggies
- In a dry large saucepan heat cumin seed for 1 min
- Add onions and stir well then add oil and stir again then cover to cook for 4 mins. Stir now and then
- Meanwhile, grate turmeric, ginger & garlic.
- Bring the garlic turmeric ginger mix in the pan and stir vigorously
- Add diced sweet potatoes, zucchini, salt, and spices, stir again. Cover and let cook for about 6 minutes
- Bring the drained lentils then add broth and mix everything well. Cover to simmer for 7 mins at medium-high heat
- Now add coconut milk and cook for 2 mins.
- Cut off the heat, add diced red pepper and herbs
- Before serving squeeze a fresh lemon on the curry then serve
- Enjoy your curry and please share this recipe. Thank you for being here.
- Prefer soaking lentils for about an hour to shorten the cooking time
- You can use heavy coconut cream, but I wanted this curry to remain light
- According to your heat source, the cooking time may vary.
- You can opt to mix this curry to have a smooth curry soup. But's so good and flavorful to chew the veggies.
- Store the remaining curry in the fridge for up to 5 days.