Enjoy this hearty savory adzuki beans with scallions dish. This is one delicious low-carb meal that fits into any weight-loss nutrition plan. It's great for vegans and vegetarians alike. Because it's high in fibre, you feel full longer, and helps you fight food cravings in between meals.
Hello, my dear, fasten your belt, the weather is clement no turbulence! I am taking you on a trip to Asia! Where do you prefer, China, Taiwan, or Japan? That's where we're landing with this savory adzuki beans recipe!
I've always loved beans. I grew up in upcountry back in Kenya where we could enjoy both fresh beans and dry beans throughout the year. However, my hearts fall for red beans.
Both adzuki beans and potatoes create a perfect harmony in this recipe. Make sure you choose potatoes that are fast to cook, and they remain tender after cooking.
I used small red onions but you can go for yellow ones, I love the taste of red onions with adzuki beans. Onions tend to turn sweet after cooking which makes this adzuki beans recipe real sweet.
Adzuki beans health benefits
But things radically changed for me when I "met with" Adzuki beans (Azuki)! These beans are soft, they quick fast than the other beans, actually if you left them unattended they will cook into a soup lol!
I have to say it, I fell in love with adzuki beans.
- Adzuki beans are well known in both Japanese (Kampo) and Chinese traditional medicine. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, adzuki beans are still used in treating edema, joint inflammation, appendix, kidney, and bladder infections.
- They're also famous in draining dampness in the body as they're diuretic thus promoting urine production which will expel damp that has been accumulated in the body.
- Can you imagine that Adzuki beans rank among the top five in the food that are high in polyphenols? Polyphenols are known to protect you against chronic diseases.
- These small red beans have shown to possess anti-inflammatory biochemicals due to their antioxidants.
- Besides, Adzuki beans are high in Folate, Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium Zinc, and have other minerals.
This savory adzuki beans recipe with scallions will not only be filling but also sweet as adzuki beans are sweet that's why they're used in compositions of desserts in both China and Japan.
Cook this adzuki beans recipe in some vegetable broth for a yummy dish.
Add raw cilantro and scallions (green onions) at the end to preserve the vitamin C, in addition, you'll have vitamin A and K. These vitamins will not only boost your immune system but also help you by reducing your inflammation.
You'll load yourself with lots of Potassium, which is essential for normal cell function. It's present in potatoes, cilantro, scallions and in adzuki beans.
You can add some coconut milk to make all this trip to Asia worthy a while
I don't think I've forgotten anything. You'll obviously leave me a comment here below to let me know how your trip was, won't you?…….
Lots of kisses, Githu.
Savory Adzuki beans with scallions
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- piece ginger
- 6 very small red onoins
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 medium size potatoes here I used Amandine (very soft and quick to cook)
- 1 tps mustard seeds (paste)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cups cooked adzuki beans
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (more would be better if you love them)
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 11/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- In a large cooking pan bring the fennel and cumin seeds to medium-low heat and let them heat for 2-3 mins without them burning.
- Remove the outer skin of the red onions and put them into the pan after washing them. Cover and let these cook for 2-3 minutes, keep on stirring now and then
- Add the coconut oil and stir well and then cover
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic and ginger together. Add them into the pan.
- Clean & cut the potatoes into fours, or into pieces that you know they'll not take too much time to cook.
- Bring them into the pan, stir all together and cover for a few minutes, keep on checking to stir regularly.
- Add the mustard seeds and cayenne pepper stir well and then add the vegetable broth or water.
- The broth/water should slightly cover the potatoes, increase the heal till the boiling starts, lower the heat to medium-high and let the dish cook till the potatoes are cooked
- When the potatoes are firmly cooked, fold in the adzuki beans and cook for 2-3 mins
- Cut off the heat.
- Add salt, cilantro, and scallions and fold everything together. Let the dish cool a little
- Serve and enjoy your savory adzuki beans with scallions dish.
- Depending on the choice of your potatoes, this savory dish might take different time to cook and also different tastes. Some potatoes are sweet while others are not.
- We don't peel off our potatoes. Potatoes skins hold a lot of fiber, vitamin C, and B6, Copper, and Potassium. If you can get your potatoes directly from the farm or organic it would be great!
- The indicated time on this recipe is only for Google, I have in mind that you might be in pain and so your movements are slow. So please please take your time to cook for yourself this healthy anti-inflammatory dish without considering the time.