Spinach goes so well with figs. These figs are sweet with a delicate honey flavor, making this simple sauteed spinach with figs such a deliciousness.
Hi dear friend, there's only one thing I'll ask you to before you set to make this simple sauteed spinach with fig; You've to look for THE BEST FIGS!
Figs and spinach marry so well, you can enjoy them in a salad and if you're a cheese lover (not that I do recommend it in an anti-inflammatory diet) then go for fresh goat cheese and you'll not regret anything.
Well, that was me before!
Today, we enjoyed figs with spinach that have been sauteed in red onions, garlic, and ginger. It's as simple as that, but this spinach recipe turns out to be amazingly delicious.
How to choose the figs
- There are about 700 varieties of figs, but only a few of them are popular. They range from green, purple, and dark purple... so you'll have to find your favorite fig.
- There're figs and THE FIGS, you understand the term? Some figs will just make you dislike the fruit for the rest of your life!
- While THE FIG is tender, delicate, ripened to its fullness filled with the nectar almost bursting, you fear handling it afraid it'll smash.
- Please don't buy them unripe, and when you buy riped figs, don't store them, these girls are delicate and can't be stored for more than two days. You can keep them in the fridge for an extra day, but it might alter their flavor!
- Figs don't ripen after being picked, so if you find figs that are not ripe, pass on lol
- Don't buy figs that have mold or cuts on their skins. They should not be hard when you press on them.
I love green figs, but my golden medal goes to the dark-skinned figs, with deep red inside, sweet, and very juicy.
How to saute spinach
You'll find that sauteing spinach is quite easy.
- Make sure you've fresh spinach
- Clean the spinach and sort out the leaves
- Remove the stems
- If you have mature spinach with big leaves, tear them into two using your hands or use a knife
- Make sure to drain them well; you can shake them or use a salad spinner
- Make sure to add them in a hot pan, I cook onions first, but you can cook spinach alone with just some fat.
- Fresh spinach will cook within 5 mins.
- See the recipe card below
You can enjoy your sauteed spinach with rice, quinoa, millet, etc... we loved this spinach recipe with pancakes. You've got these buckwheat groats pancakes or these savory flourless zucchini pancakes to serve with sauteed spinach.
You can also serve these sauteed spinach on a piece of bread for breakfast.
Run water on the figs without you touching them especially when they are very ripened. Slice them gently into two with a very sharp knife before garnishing them on the sauteed spinach.
Use some peanut butter to top with, it's heavenly good! But you can use any cream or nut butter of your choice.
Now, sit down, knife, and folk in your hands, and let's savor this simple sauteed spinach with figs together. What cream did you top yours with? Leave me your comment here below.
Please do share this spinach recipe and I do thank you for that, but more so, I am grateful for your presence.
With love, GITHU.
Here are some healthy recipes for you
- Lentil curry with rice & split pea
- Spicy healthy sweet potatoes stew
- Roasted spiced pumpkins with spinach
- Baby spinach salad with fruits
- Savory gluten-free pancakes with zucchini
A simple sauteed spinach with figs
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- a small piece of ginger
- 1/2 tsp oregano (dry) (optional)
- 1/2 cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil or any healthy oil
- 1 kg spinach
- some salt
- some black pepper
- 250 grams fresh ripened figs (about 3 figs/person)
- Clean and sort out the spinach
- Cut off the stem and drain the spinach by shaking or by using a veggie spinner
- Dice the onion, grate the ginger and garlic
- Put your saucepan in a source heat and add the onions then oil
- Let the onion cook covered for about 3 minutes stirring now and then
- Add the garlic with the spices and cook for a minute
- Bring the spinach and cover. Let cook it for 2 mins then stir the spinach, add salt. Cover
- The spinach will be cooked within 5 mins
- Remove from the heat, let them cool before serving. meanwhile, run water on the figs
- Cut the figs into halves with a very sharp knife
- Serve the sauteed spinach on a pancake then garnish with figs, now top with peanut butter or any other butter
- Now enjoy your sauteed spinach with figs. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Thank you.