Enjoy the most nutritious and healthy rice for breakfast. High in protein and low carb, this wonderful breakfast bowl of black rice recipe with raspberries will keep you satiated and well-nourished.
A wonderful breakfast bowl of black rice recipe with raspberries that's loaded with antioxidants to help you fight free radicals and inflammation! Welcome aboard lovely
This breakfast bowl is nutrient-dense, offering you a gluten-free and vegan healthy breakfast meal that I am sure you'll fall in love with.
I guarantee you are in for a treat. This breakfast of black rice is unique, it has an earthly flavor and different textures. If you like adventures, which I guess you do, then pack your backpack, and let's go to Asia for a breakfast bowl of black rice lol
What's black rice?
- As the name indicates, it's black, but don't let the color scare you, you are not imaging yourself eating anything black right?
- Actually, I always find my black rice more of deep dark red after cooking, which is normal since there are different varieties of Oryza Sativa L. (black rice).
- Black rice, also known as forbidden rice has origin in Asia, more precisely in China.
- This rice was scarce that it was forbidden from the common man, only the Emperor and his family could consume it, thus the name the forbidden rice.
- Today you can find it mostly in organic shops, depending on your country.
And let's admit it, the forbidden rice is still forbidden today because lovely, this black rice is expensive, making it, unfortunately, not accessible to everyone.
Yet again, it's cultivated in small quantities.
Health benefits of black rice
- Black rice is high in fiber, high in protein, and rich in minerals than brown rice.
- Forbidden rice is high in protein and essential amino acids, a good source of vitamin B1 and E, Iron, Zinc, Manganese, and Potassium.
- Black rice is rich in antioxidants mostly anthocyanin thanks to its color. In one study on black rice, it was found that the forbidden rice has more antioxidants than the blueberries
- This is amazing considering the high price of blueberries.
- Anthocyanin help in fighting heart disease, cancer, and inflammation they also offer protection against liver and kidney injuries.
- It was concluded in another study that black rice extract can help in neuroprotective against stroke.
How to cook black rice
Black rice takes a relatively long time to cook than white rice. It, however, remains firm and chewy after cooking, it's easy and very simple to cook it.
Here we are using the stovetop cooking method where the rice has to absorb all the cooking liquid.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil in your boiler.
- Rinse your cup of black rice. I don't overdo with the rinsing, otherwise, I'll be throwing away the antioxidants found in the outer shell.
- I'd recommend you don't soak black rice otherwise most of the color which is where resides the antioxidants will be thrown away.
- Put the rinsed black rice in a saucepan and turn the heat on, add salt and pour 2 cups of boiling water.
- Mix, cover and cook at medium-high for about 40 minutes.
- Let the black rice cook till the water is absorbed but not completely otherwise the rice will be dry.
- Black rice when cooked has a unique sweet, fruity-nutty flavor.
If you are using your black rice immediately, then add a tablespoon of oil, adjust the seasoning and enjoy it with whatever you have prepared. It's perfect for healthy dinners in a salad or for lunches with veggies.
Black rice recipe with raspberries for breakfast
In our case here, we will leave the black rice for tomorrow's breakfast, unless you have ample time to cook black rice in the morning.
- So add the remaining cup of boiling water and let the rice soak up the water overnight.
- You can opt to add milk of your choice instead. In this case, serve the amount you'll need for breakfast in a bowl and add milk.
- I don't store my rice in the fridge when preparing it for breakfast. If this is your case, then remove the black rice from the fridge about 30 mins before you serve it.
- Add yogurt of your choice (I use soy) and mix well with the rice.
- Crush some raspberries with a fork and add them into the rice and mix, now top with more raspberries and cherries.
- I added some molasses for more iron than for taste, as I love black rice as it is.
So feel free to add some honey, maple, or agave syrup, or whole brown sugar, let's stay away from processed sugar, won't we?
Now get a seat and enjoy this delicious, forbidden rice breakfast. This black rice recipe can also be ideal for dessert.
I hope you traveled well, kissing you till next time lovely.
Love you, Githu.
Get more healthy breakfast recipes
- Overnight millet recipe with rhubarb-strawberry
- Quinoa breakfast with dark chocolate
- Crunchy caramelized buckwheat groats
- Zucchini oatmeal smoothie healthy breakfast
- Healthy homemade gluten-free bread
- Fluffy vegan pancakes with red lentils
- Weight loss avocado smoothie
- Citrus breakfast with chia & basil seeds
- Vegan whole chickpeas pancakes
- Delicious healthy pancakes with parsnip
- Buckwheat pancakes with homemade applesauce
- Toasted overnight oats healthy breakfast with mango
- Cornmeal pancakes with apple relish
Wonderful breakfast bowl of black rice recipe with raspberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 teaspoon 4 spices
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 tin of yogurt
- a handful of fresh raspberries
- a handful of fresh cherries
- 1 teaspoon molasses... optional
- Boil the water in your boiler
- Rinse the black rice without overdoing it
- In a saucepan bring rice, spices, and salt in a medium-high heat
- Add 2 cups of boiling water, mix and cover
- Cook at medium-high heat till the water is almost completely absorbed
- Turn off the heat and add the olive oil
- Add the other cup of boiling water, mix well
- Cover and leave to settle overnight
- Clean and prepare the fruits
- Run water on raspberries without you touching them
- Scoop some black rice in your breakfast bowl
- Press some raspberries with your fork and add them
- Add yogurt and mix roughly
- Top with more raspberries and cherries
- Sprinkle with some sweetener of your choice.
- Enjoy this black rice with raspberries breakfast. Kiss
- I'll be glad if you told others about this recipe by sharing, thank you so much.