You will be surprised by the natural sweetness of this sugar-free apple, rhubarb and strawberry chutney. And you had better make plenty of it, because your family will always want to drizzle it over their pancakes and other meals. It's that yummy!
How can I say things? You know those moments you cook something and everyone has only one word in their mouth? "yummy, yummy this is too delicious… "That's what this apple chutney with rhubarb and strawberry does to my kids lol.
This chutney recipe is so delicious and simple to make. A perfect way to use rhubarb and strawberries if you happen to have a garden.
As I promised you, here is the apple chutney with rhubarb I had made for buckwheat groats pancakes
This apple chutney is completely sugar-free, made with only three ingredients plus 2 spoons of water.
Make sure you make a lot of this chutney, otherwise you're going to frustrate some people at your table lol.
The secret behind all that yummy goodness lies in the apples and rhubarb. They both create a perfect balance of sweetness and tart. Making this chutney recipe very unique.
I use very ripened golden apples, they have a lot of sugar and they're very soft especially after being cooked.
Rhubarb, on the other hand, will bring that sour-sweet taste that's not overwrapping the other flavors.
We really lo-o-o-ve this apple chutney, especially my daughter who doesn't like rhubarb, she has made me promise to make this chutney recipe again and again! she's finally declared her love for rhubarb.
You can use this apple chutney to make rhubarb crisp or pie, this chutney goes on pancakes which my dearest kids adore. You can also enjoy it as it is, a simple healthy chutney dessert.
How to make chutney
The best thing about this chutney recipe is that there is less preparation needed.
- Clean your apples, don't peel them, cut them into medium sizes.
- Use bicarbonate of soda to clean off the pesticides on your fruits and veggies, if they're not organic.
- Put the apples in a saucepan and add two tablespoonfuls of water and put on medium-high heat. Cook and stir now and then till they become soft.
- Bring in chopped rhubarb and strawberries. If you have small or medium-size strawberries, don't chop them. The cooking will reduce them.
- Mix gently and leave the apple chutney to cook on low heat for about 10 mins. Leave the chunks of fruits instead of reducing it to purée.
Healthy benefits of this chutney
- It's no doubt, this apple chutney is loaded with fiber and vitamins that are going to be beneficial to you.
- The fiber will soothe your tummy as it promotes digestion.
- Cooking apples with their skin on will release pectin that's found on the cell wall between the skin and the apple. Pectin and especially apple pectin is cancer-protective.
- Parietin in rhubarb is also a cancer fighter nutrient.
- Strawberries are considered as functional food as they're preventive and promote health due to their phytochemicals and vitamins.
- To sum up, this apple chutney has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, it's loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are beneficial to you.
Make a bunch and store this apple chutney in the fridge for up to a week. You really don't have to measure or weigh anything in this chutney recipe.
Don't forget to subscribe for more healthy healing recipes.
The more positive minded you're the happier you'll be.
My love to you, Githu.
Apple Chutney with Rhubarb & Strawberries
Rhubarb strawberry chutney
- 5 well ripen golden apples
- 2 big & large rhubarb branch (red)
- 250 grams fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- Clean your apples and cut them into big cubes
- In a saucepan, add the apples and 2 tablespoons of water and put on a high heat
- Once the apples start bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 10 mins as you stir now and then.
- During this time, chop your rhubarb into finely and remove the green top of strawberries.
- If you have big sized strawberries, cut them into halves, otherwise the small ones just cook them as they are.
- Once you have the apples cooked but still with some chunks, add the rhubarb and the strawberries.
- Stir well and cover,
- Cook the chutney for about 5 minutes, put off the heat and stir well every thing then cover.
- The heat will continue cooking the rhubarb and strawberries
- You can eat it while still warm or let it cool.
- Store the extra the fridge up to 10 days in an air-tight jar.
- Remove from the fridge 15 minutes before serving
- Thank you for sharing this recipe