How can I say things? You know those moments you cook something and everyone has only one word in their mouth? "yummy, yummy this is too delicious… "That's what this rhubarb strawberry chutney does to my kids lol.
As I promised you, here is the rhubarb chutney I had made for buckwheat groats pancakes
This rhubarb strawberry chutney is completely sugar-free, made with only three ingredients plus 2 spoons of water.
Make sure you make a lot, otherwise you're going to frustrate some people at your table hahaha.
The secret behind all that yummy, yummy lay on apples and rhubarb. They both create a perfect balance of sweetness and tart.
I opted for very ripened golden apples, they have a lot of sugar and they're very soft especially after being cooked.
Rhubarb, on the other hand, will bring that sour-sweet taste that's not overwrapping the other tastes.
We really lo-o-ove this rhubarb strawberry chutney, especially my daughter who doesn't like rhubarb, she has made me promise to make it again and again! she's finally declared her love for rhubarb.
You can use this chutney to make rhubarb crisp or pie, I am not a good baker, so our goes on pancakes which my dearest kids adore. You can also enjoy it as it is, a simple healthy rhubarb dessert
How to make rhubarb strawberry chutney
The best thing about this recipe is that there is no preparation.
Clean your apples, don't peel them, cut them into medium sizes.
Use bicarbonate of soda to clean off the pesticides on your fruits and veggies
Put the apples in a saucepan and add two tablespoonfuls of water and put on medium-high heat. Cook and stir now and then till they become soft.
Bring in chopped rhubarb and strawberries. If you have small or medium size strawberries, don't chop them. The cooking will reduce them.
Mix gently and leave the chutney to cook on low heat for about 10 mins. You need to leave the chunks of fruits.
Healthy benefits of rhubarb strawberry chutney
It's no doubt, this chutney is loaded with fiber and vitamins that are going to be beneficial to you.
The fiber will sooth your tummy as it promotes digestion.
Cooking apples with their skin on will release pectin that's found on the cell wall between the skin and the apple.
Pectin and especially apple pectin is cancer protective.
Parietin in rhubarb is also a cancer fighter nutrient.
Strawberries are considered as functional food as they're preventive and promote health due to their phytochemicals and vitamins.
To sum up, this chutney has anti-inflammation and anti-cancer properties, it's loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are beneficial to you.
Make a bunch and store this chutney in the fridge for 3-5 days. You really don't have to measure or weigh anything in this rhubarb recipe.
Don't forget to subscribe for more healthy healing recipes.
The more positive minded you're the happier you'll be.
My love to you, Githu.
Rhubarb Strawberry Chutney
- Chopping board
Rhubarb strawberry chutney
- 5 well ripen golden apples
- 1 big & large rhubarb branch
- 300 grams fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp water
Let's cook this chutney
- Clean your apples and cut them into big cubes
- In a saucepan, add the apples and 2 tbs of water and put on a high heat
- Once the apples start bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 10 mins as you stir now and then.
- During this time, chop your rhubarb into fine cuts and remove the green top of strawberries.
- If you have big sized strawberries, cut them into halves, otherwise the small ones just cook them as they are.
- Once you have the apples cooked but still with some chunks, add the rhubarb and the strawberries.
- Stir well and cover, increase the heat for 3 mins then lower it.
- Cook the chutney for about 7-8 mins, put off the heat and stir well every thing then cover.
- You can eat it while still warm or let it cool.
- Store the extra the fridge for 3-4 days