Enjoy these tender and delicious oven-roasted carrots as a side dish any time of the year.
Hello darling, how are you doing on your side? Are you looking for another way of how to cook carrots?
If you are bored with steamed carrots, this oven-roasted carrots recipe is here to rescue you, hahaha. Seriously, I know it's healthier to eat steamed carrots, but girl, let's try out something spicy this time, shall we?
I love these oven-roasted carrots with balsamic vinaigrette, and I bet you'll love them too. Otherwise, how can you resist this deliciousness?
Fortunately, I've been enjoying these purple roasted carrots for a while now. There's a farmer in my market who has yellow, orange, and purple carrots.
If you can put your hands on purple carrots, buy them. They are healthier than the rest because of their purple color. Anthocyanins are antioxidants that give veggies and fruits their deep red, blue, or purple colors.
So let me guide you on how to make these oven-roasted carrots.
Do you peel carrots before roasting?
While you'll find a lot of recipes asking you to peel your carrots, you really shouldn't.
- As I have been telling you, the skin has the highest concentration of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- The skin has a lot of fiber, which is beneficial to your digestion, and fiber will keep you satiated.
- The carrots' skin will protect the nutrients from leaching out or being damaged by heat while cooking.
Are roasted carrots good for weight loss?
- Yes, roasted carrots are healthy. The problem will arise if you are adding maple syrup or honey to sweeten or if you are adding unhealthy fats to the roasted carrots.
- Carrots have high sugar content than most vegetables apart from beets.
- Remember that by oven-roasting complex sugars are being broken down into simple sugars, that's why oven-roasted carrots are sweeter than steamed carrots. Therefore, no need to add honey or any other sugar for that matter.
Whole roasted carrots
- If and whenever possible, choose thin carrots for roasting.
- Big carrots will take longer to cook than thin carrots
- If you have to cut your carrots, then cut big pieces. Cutting small pieces will expose the phytonutrients to heat, leading to their damage.
Seasoning for carrots
- Oven-roasted carrots are sweet even without any seasoning.
- But to bring flavors, you can add some seasoning like spices, pepper, vinegar, or oil.
- In this garlic oven-roasted carrots, I used balsamic vinegar, oil, smoked paprika, and salt. Feel free to add your favorite spices and herbs.
Balsamic vinaigrette recipe
- This balsamic vinaigrette is really simple.
- You'll need balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and others...
- I added smoked paprika, this optional, but it gives a very nice flavor.
- You can make an extra vinaigrette and use it within the week or so.
How to roast carrots
- Roasting carrots is very easy and simple
- You clean and pat dry your carrots
- Place the carrots in a baking tin or sheet pan
- Add the balsamic vinaigrette, mix carrots with the vinaigrette using your hands
- Send the carrots to roast in a hot oven.
- After 15 mins, turn the roasting carrots and return them to the oven
- Roast till the carrots are tender.
How long to roast carrots
- There isn't really a given time that fits all the roasted carrots.
- It depends on the size and some cultivars can be soft and tender while others can be hard hence taking longer to cook.
- Roast your carrots in a hot oven and check if they're roasted by inserting a sharp knife on the thickest part of one carrot.
Carrots side dish
Serve this garlic oven-roasted carrots as a side dish.
- They go very well with rice, quinoa, or millet served with sweet green peas.
- They are a perfect match with baked tofu, served with green beans
- You can also serve these roasted carrots with salmon or chicken if you are not avoiding animal meat.
How to store roasted carrots
- If you have roasted carrots leftovers, put them in a container and store them in your fridge for up to 5 days.
- To use the carrots, reheat them in a hot oven for about 5 mins.
Well, my dear friend, I think now you can make some oven-roasted carrots with those carrots you have in your fridge and enjoy a very delicious side dish.
If you make these oven-roasted carrots with balsamic vinaigrette, please do let me know by commenting here below. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I wish you a blessed and beautiful day.
I love you, Githu.
See other roasted veggies
- Simple fall roasted root vegetable recipe
- Easy roasted cauliflower curry with garlic
- Easy roasted beet salad with roasted onions
- Juicy-oven roasted vegetables with rosemary
- Garlic roasted red potatoes recipe
Oven-roasted carrots with balsamic vinaigrette
- 6-8 medium carrots (I used purple carrots)
- a piece of fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- some fresh herbs of your choice (optional)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (as you desire)
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- some black pepper (freshly ground if possible)
- 3 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- Put your oven to heat at 200°C/395°F
- Start by cleaning and then pat dry your carrots
- In a small bowl, bring all balsamic ingredients and mix them well to make a balsamic vinaigrette
- Slice some fresh ginger
- Put the carrots in a baking tin and add some of the balsamic vinaigrette. Mix well. You can use your hands to mix so that the carrots are all covered with the vinaigrette
- Add the slices of ginger and whole garlic with their skin on
- Roast halfway, then turn the carrot,s and put back in the oven to roast till tender
- Let the carrots cool before serving.
- Cut the roasted carrots lengthwise to serve together with the garlic & ginger
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and drizzle some of the remaining vinaigrette.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, or fish.
- Thank you for sharing this recipe. Many blessings to you and yours.