Learn how to easily cook quinoa perfectly, it's very simple and quick.
Hopefully, you're well as I walk you through how to cook quinoa perfectly.
When you're advised to go grain-free, to go gluten-free and many other regiments, it's can be very overwhelming not knowing where to start.
Quinoa is definitely that seed you need to have in the house.
To dissipate any confusion, quinoa isn't a grain as it's normally referred to. It's rather a seed from a plant of the same family as beets and spinach.
There 're three types of quinoa; there's black quinoa, red quinoa, and white quinoa. White
Origin of quinoa
Quinoa originated from the Andes mountains in Bolivia, Chile, and Peru.
Incas people called it the mother of all grains as it has been around for about 7000 years.
It can grow up to 4500 altitudes.
Quinoa almost went into extinction upon the arrival of Spanish who burnt it down. Only a few survived in high mountains.
- Quinoa is a functional food because it helps reduce the risk of various diseases.
- This is due to the presence of fiber, minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
- It possesses a high amount of proteins and essential amino acids.
- Studies have shown that frequent consumption of quinoa help reduce inflammation. So it's the best friend you can have daily in your path of healing
- You'll get Vitamin Thiamin, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate, Vit. E, A, B6, and B2.
- It has a high concentration of calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Iron.
How cook quinoa perfectly
Learn how to cook quinoa perfectly by following these simple steps
- You can choose to soak your quinoa. This will reduce its bitterness due to anti-nutrients.
- Boil 2 cups of water in your boiler
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa
- In a saucepan put quinoa, some salt (you can add ginger if you love it) and add the boiling water
- Stir, cover and let it boil at high temperature for about 5 mins
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and leave your quinoa to simmer till the water is absorbed
How much does 1 cup of quinoa yield?
I cup of dry quinoa will give you about 3 cups of cooked quinoa. Quinoa swells as it cooks if you let it cook at low heat at the end of cooking it'll swell more vs cooking at high heat all the way.
How to make quinoa taste good?
- Quinoa can be sometimes be bitter, to avoid this, rinse your quinoa before cooking, but if you have time you can soak your quinoa for about 6 hours to reduce the bitterness.
- Add spices to your cooking quinoa, you can add ginger, cinnamon or all spices to enhance the taste of your quinoa
- Another thing is to add some cold pressed olive oil at the end of cooking, this makes quinoa so delicious and I am sure you'll love it.
How to appreciate quinoa
Quinoa is versatile, you can enjoy it in salads, as a main dish with some veggies or on detox.
Here, my kids and I also love it in breakfast with some fruits and/or with fermented coconut milk.
Just be creative and if you have nothing else but quinoa, It's definitely, sweet on its own.
You have a good reason now to add quinoa to your shopping list. It's no doubt it will be your
Wishing you a beautiful time, till next be blessed and fight that pain as much as you can.
My love to you, Githu.
Learn how to easily cook quinoa perfectly
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- pinch salt
- pinch grounded cinnamon
- pinch grounded ginger
- 1 tbs Cold pressed olive oil
- Rinse your quinoa with cold water for at least 2 times. Drain it well.
- In a heating pan, bring in cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir together and add your quinoa.
- Pour the boiling water. Stir. Cover and let it come to a boiling point.
- Boil for the next 4 mins. Then lower the heat to medium and let it cook slowly for about 15 mins or till all water is almost absorbed.
- Low the heat again to very low and let the quinoa swell as it finalizes it's cooking
- When the water is completely drained, cut the heat and add the oil.
- You can cover it and let it sit for a while or serve immediately.
- Enjoy your delicious quinoa. thank you for sharing this recipe.