I guarantee you that this healing watercress soup with green peas is delicious, soothing, and easy to make.
Watercress soup is such a healthy meal when you want to eat light. Adding some green peas into this watercress soup adds flavor and texture that makes this soup so delicious.
I love this watercress soup with green peas. But this hasn't been always the case. Make this bitterless watercress soup with green peas and start enjoying delicious watercress soup.
My funny story about watercress soup
One day I was looking for green veggies high in vitamin K. During my research I
It took me long before I came across my
I, one day, decided to change my marketplace, who knows, things might be greener somewhere else. As I was walking around the new market, I saw this "herb like" green plant folded in a bundle like a little sweet looking bouquet.
How I First Found Watercress
I curiously asked the seller what it was. "Watercress" she answered. I was in a little heaven. I started imagining all the possible ways I could prepare it. After having purchased my first ever watercress, I couldn't help tearing some leaves just to taste.
Well, not that sweet but, with some seasoning, it will be perfect! And I'll eat myself some vitamin K and lots of minerals, I convinced myself.
My first watercress salad was great! I don't know why, but I only ate the leaves that day.
Why is my watercress soup bitter?
The following market day, I went for another watercress bouquet. This time I thought of making watercress soup for my lovelies. I was very enthused. I cleaned the watercress, cooked some onions, and spices. Together with green peas, my first Watercress soup with green peas was born.
Just before serving my kids this my nutritious watercress soup with green peas, I decided to taste it (I was one of those who
My watercress soup with green peas was terribly BITTER! What! Why? How?
I accused some micro-organisms, who could have possibly contaminated the watercress.
The next market day, I bought my watercress, I also asked the vendor if there was any possible reason why my last watercress was bitter! She assured me that everything was perfect.
With her assuring words, I headed for another trial for watercress soup.
Are you guessing the outcome? You're right! it was BITTER! again?
You might be wondering; why not just google for a recipe? Well, I really love going down headed when creating my recipes. I'm an artist in heart, I like taking risks. And furthermore, I feel more authentic if I could propose you a recipe that I created from scratch!
I almost gave up on watercress till one Autumn day, watercress was back in the market.
Our Watercress soup with green peas
One day, in my now new marketplace, as I was purchasing for some fresh mint, a customer bought two bundles of watercress that was just next to me. "How can he eat this bitter plant?" I asked myself.
I turned to him: Bonjour (hi), how'd you consume your watercress, please?
He was kind, he responded: "I make watercress salad or watercress soup."
"Soup? how do you do it? I've cooked mine twice with very mediocre results!" I confessed to him shamefully.
He looked at me with sympathy and amusement combined.
"You need to thoroughly clean the watercress, remove the roots and the stems and that's all" he told me.
"Throw away the stems?" I murmured. If you're a zero-waste person like me, then you'll understand. I don't throw away food. In my opinion, if I could eat the leaves, then why not the stems? Ha!
Still, I was so happy, and thanked him gratefully. He nodded, and with a smile, he left. Now I knew why my watercress soup recipes were bitter. O
Right there, I bought a new watercress bouquet. I was so excited that now I held the secret behind having a delicious watercress soup!
How to Prepare Healing Watercress Soup That is Not Bitter
I had some coconut cream in the house that day. And I tell you, my oh my, our watercress soup with green peas and coconut cream was so so
My kids asked for a second serving, my daughter was asking me to prepare the same soup the following day. Since then, we've been enjoying our watercress soup with green peas every Fall.
- Make this bitterless watercress soup with green peas by using ONLY the leaves.
- You add the leaves to already boiling water, NOT before.
Now that I've given you the way to prepare your watercress, let's sit down and enjoy this watercress soup! What do you say?
My special thoughts and prayers to all those who're suffering from any kind of pain. Be it physical, mental, emotional, loneliness, hunger, etc.. I wish you wellness in my prayers.
I love you, Githu.
Get some more healing & healthy soups here
- Spring onions with cherry tomato soup
- Vegan chuncky potato leek soup
- Weight loss vegetable soup
- Tomato soup recipe with fresh turmeric
- Comforting roasted corn & butternut soup
- Garlic homemade tomato soup
- Tofu soup with shiitake mushroom
- No blend split peas soup with celery
Healing Watercress Soup with Green Peas
- 1 tbs fennel & cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 or 2 medium onion
- small pieces of ginger and turmeric
- 1 handful watercress. my bundle is 230g
- 2 cups green peas. I use frozen.
- 3 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp Cold pressed Olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1 cup coconut cream
- some fresh mint or herb of your choice
- some fresh coconut flakes to top with (optional)
- Clean very thoroughly the watercress and get ONLY the leaves
- Put the seeds in a saucepan and heat at low heat while you dice the onions
- Put them in the saucepan and stir, cover
- Mince garlic, ginger & turmeric, then bring them in the saucepan stir, and increase the heat to medium-high
- Add the olive oil and stir well, let the mix cook for about 5 mins without browning
- Add the frozen green peas and salt, stir and cover to cook for 5 mins then add the boiling water
- Increase the heat to let the boiling take place
- Add the watercress leaves and cut off the heat
- Add the mint with coconut cream and blend in a smooth soup
- Taste to adjust the taste and serve, top with fresh coconut flakes. Enjoy.
- Thank you so much for pinning and sharing this recipe. I love you.