In this recipe, I'll show you an easy-peasy way to toss up a sweet & spicy green peas dish that's a perfect accompaniment to any meal. It's a vegan green peas recipe fit for kids. Frozen peas are fried in spices then folded with nutritional yeast for a delicious creamy-cheesy flavor that you'll really love.
Hi lovely, have you noticed? January is gone, just like that! Spring isn't far behind.
To prepare you for spring, I've put together this sweet & spicy green peas dish for you to try out. This best sweet green peas recipe with nutritional yeast that offers a little taste of spring.
This green peas recipe has few ingredients yet with abundant textures and flavors. It's a sweet & spicy twist to what would otherwise be an ordinary peas side dish. The flavors in this will have you and your family coming back for more.
If there's a veggie that you should always have in your freezer, then it should be a bag of frozen peas. In a matter of minutes, you can make yourself a healthy, easy, simple, and sweet green peas recipe.
Green peas are a sweet vegetable. Add some spices for a vibrant blend of flavors. Finish with nutritional yeast, to give it a creamy-cheesy note.
Health Benefits of Green Peas
Green peas comes in a bundle of health benefits, including these:
- Good source of protein.
- A reliable source of omega-3 fats, which is good for your heart.
- They're a wonderful source for vitamin K, which builds strong bones.
- Loaded with vitamins C, B1, B2, B3, and B6. They're a source of iron, manganese, copper, among other minerals.
- Green peas are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. This is a good thing for those of us with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Peas can protect against stomach cancer (gastric cancer). These forms of cancer occur more commonly in those who have a very low intake of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Benefits of Nutritional Yeast
"Ahem! What is nutritional yeast?"
"Oh yeah!" nutritional yeast is a cultivated fungus by name Saccharomyces cerevisiae.I ti that is grown on either sugarcane or beets molasses. Unlike the baking yeast that's active, meaning alive, nutritional yeast is dead. We call it deactivated yeast because it undergoes pasteurization.
Nutritional yeast has a handful of health benefits that are not to be ignored.
- It's a good source of protein
- Source of dietary fiber
- It's fat-free, sugar-free, and some are even gluten-free
- It's fortified with vitamin Bs and even B12
- A good source of minerals like zinc, selenium, and iron
- It has antioxidants which will support your immune system and also protect cell damage
- It has antiviral and antimicrobial properties
How to use nutritional yeast
- Add it to your salads, dishes, dressings, and creams.
- It's also used to make vegan cheese.
- You can also add it to your breakfast cereals, your yogurts, etc.
- Nutritional yeast improves the flavor and the texture of your food like in this perfect brown rice risotto. Read the packets when purchasing for details like vitamin B12 and gluten, etc.
How to Cook Frozen Green peas
Forget about that classic way of blanching your green peas. You end up draining vital minerals into your sink!
Instead, make a sweet & spicy green peas side dish that's savory, delicious and easy to put together!
This sweet green peas recipe comes together in no time with all the deliciousness of spices, onions, and shallots. The creamy-cheesy flavor from nutritional yeast folds this peas recipe into a luscious side dish.
Add spices of your choice, in this peas recipe I used
- Turmeric (grounded)
- cayenne powder
- sweet paprika
- smoked paprika
Let the spices heat on a dry pan then add to these spices some onions, both fresh garlic, and ginger if you have some. Cook them in some healthy oil till fragrant.
(If you're short of time and can't use onions, garlic & ginger, just go ahead and pour the frozen green peas on the cooking spices.)
Add frozen peas, stir, increase the heat, keep tossing till the peas are hot.
You don't need to cook the peas. In general, frozen peas are soft and sugary which can easily be eaten raw, see the recipe card for more details.
That's it, you are done with cooking your best green peas recipe, then comes the nutritional yeast that will make you succumb to a little romance!
You can add the nutritional yeast during the cooking process or at the end.
This sweet green peas recipe is perfect served with brown rice, quinoa, millet, or flatbread aka chapatis.
I am anxiously waiting to read your comments about this green peas recipe. Make it and share your opinion, I'll love that.
Share and pin this recipe. Thank you.
My love to you, Githu.
Here are other green peas recipes for you
- Sweet frozen peas with brown rice
- Snow peas side dish recipe
- Vegan peas with artichoke recipe
- Watercress soup with green peas
Sweet & Spicy Green Peas Recipe
- A saucepan
- ½ tablespoon grounded cumin
- ½ tablespoon grounded turmeric
- dust of cayenne powder
- ½ tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 small onions or 1 big
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a small piece of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon cold-pressed oil
- 3 cups frozen green peas (1 cup/person)
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (no sugar & gluten-free)
- ½ cup vegetable broth or hot water
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Heat the spices in a dry pan on low heat, the time you dice the onions & shallots
- Put the onions & shallots in the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and add the oil, stir and cover
- Grate the garlic and ginger and bring them in the cooking onions, stir and cook covered till fragrant (about 5 mins)
- Pour the frozen peas, stir and cover. Increase the heat since the peas are frozen
- Toss, stir now and then till all the peas are thawed
- Add the vegetable broth or boiling water
- When the boiling takes place, add salt, tamari sauce, and taste.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for a minute or so
- Cut off the heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast and fold everything together into a creamy delicious peas side dish
- Serve with rice/ quinoa/ flatbread etc
- Thank you for rating this recipe. Pin it and share it out. Thank you. Kiss