This thinly sliced super-simple fried cabbage with tempeh is a vegan cabbage recipe that makes a delicious, quick, and healthy dinner.
Hi dear, how often do you eat cabbage? What's your best recipe?
When I was a little girl, there was this super simple delicious fried cabbage recipe that I loved, and my memories always remind me that the best dishes are mostly simple and made with great but few ingredients.
Back in those days, that fried cabbage was made with beef, onions, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro. The recipe was very simple, no oil or spices, only a little salt was added to it! The fact that the veggies came directly from our farm and the cattle fed from a savage forest made this cabbage stir fry so yummy and flavorful.
Today, by far, I cannot bring out those great flavors even if I was to use beef. Our cattle were raised in the wilderness in a savage forest, and hence their meat was authentic!
Sorry, maybe I am drifting too much into nostalgia.
So, in this fried cabbage, I wanted to recreate that recipe but in a vegan version. I chose tempeh for it's high in protein, I also added firm tofu because my kids don't like tempeh as such.
Did you know that cabbage can help you fight many diseases?
Cabbage is a great ingredient when it comes to fighting diseases. "Growing evidence indicates that cabbage has various pharmacological properties against a wide range of diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases, hepatic diseases, and cancer." PMC
I combined cabbage with turmeric to enhance the healing properties making this fried cabbage an anti-inflammatory recipe that can help you reduce your inflammation.
We mostly served our super-simple delicious fried cabbage with either chapati, a loaf of bread, or a traditional meal. You can use chapati aka flatbread to make tacos, quesadilla, or serve it with rice, quinoa, or just a loaf of gluten-free bread.
We loved it with bread or chapatis. I've got a gluten-free bread recipe that's easy and simple for you.
Make this super simple delicious fried cabbage with tempeh as part of your meal prep, it will store well in your fridge for up to 4 days. You can easily pack it for lunch as well.
It's an easy dinner that you can fix in less than 20 mins if you shred the cabbage in your food processor.
If you are not serving this fried cabbage recipe for kids, then just slightly cook it leaving the cabbage crunchy so that you can enjoy all its juice and health benefits.
My dear, I hope this recipe will inspire you into adding cabbage to your menu. Please share it by pinning it.
My thoughts of you, Githu.
Check out these healthy recipes
- Roasted fennel with mango salsa
- The best & healthiest sweet potato recipe
- Best sweet green peas recipe
- Vegan chunky potato leek soup
- Turmeric mung bean recipe
- Healthy vegetables stir fry recipe
Super simple delicious fried cabbage with tempeh
- A food processor
- A sharp knife
- A chopping board
- A large saucepan
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh turmeric root
- 1 thumb fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 3-4 cups cabbage thinly shredded
- pinch of salt
- 250 grams tempeh
- 125 grams tofu (optional)
- 3 medium size tomatoes (diced)
- a small piece of chili pepper (optional)
- a handful of cilantro or fresh herbs of your choice
- Clean the vegetables
- In a saucepan bring the diced onions with oil and stir, cover, and cook for 4 mins on a medium-high heat
- Meanwhile, grate the turmeric, ginger, and garlic
- Add the tempeh with tofu in the onions and stir, cover to cook for 3 mins
- Add the grated mix of garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Stir for a minute
- Bring in thinly shredded cabbage, add salt. Stir and cover to cook for 4 mins
- Now add the tomatoes, gentle mix them evenly with the cabbage
- Cover and cook for 3 mins, we don't want the tomatoes to overcook.
- Cut off the heat, add cilantro, pepper and check for salt
- Just before serving, drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon to add vitamin C.
- Serve this fried cabbage with rice, flatbread, potatoes, etc...
- Thank you so much for being here, please share out this recipe.
- To facilitate your work, use a food processor to shred the cabbage especially if you have pain or tired.
- Use a vegetable grater to grate the turmeric, ginger, and garlic. Note that turmeric will leave the color on the grater.
- Dice the tomatoes in medium sizes, so that they don't give too much juice or overcook
- You can also just toss everything together and cook for 5 mins to have a very crunchy fried cabbage in case you're not serving this recipe for kids.