Want your kids to eat their veggies? Try this shredded cabbage stir-fry, with tempeh and a touch of tofu to help jazz up your meals. This vegan cabbage recipe makes a delicious, quick and healthy dinner.
Hi dear, tell me something... Do you struggle to get your kids to eat their veggies? Do you find that you need to "hide" the veggies to get them to eat at least some? What's the vegetable they struggle with the most?
Well, you are not alone. Many mums go through the same struggle with their kids DAILY!. But let's see if this shredded cabbage stir-fry with tempeh & tofu can help you win the dinner wars for veggies!
When I was a little girl, there was this super simple delicious fried cabbage recipe that I loved. My fondest memories of food are mostly simple dishes, made with a few fresh, well-chosen ingredients.
Back in those days, that fried cabbage was made with beef, onions, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro. The recipe was very simple, no oil or spices, only a little salt was added to it! The veggies came directly from our farm and the cattle fed from wild, free-range pasture, making this dish so yummy and flavorful.
Today, there's no way to replicate those flavors, even if I was to use beef. Back home, our cattle were raised on free-range pasture, and hence their meat was delicious and authentic!
Sorry, maybe I am drifting too much into nostalgia.
So, in this fried cabbage, I wanted to recreate that recipe but in a vegan version. I chose tempeh as a protein complement, because it's high in protein, I also added firm tofu because my kids don't like tempeh that much.
Nutritional Benefits of Cabbage
As simple and common-place as cabbage is, this is one vegetable whose benefits go really deep. It's been linked to anti-inflammation and cancer-fighting benefits, and even has research to back up many of these claims.
Cabbage is a nutrient-rich vegetable that's great in helping your body fight inflammation and diseases. Research has shown that cabbage has highly beneficial properties in protecting the body from cardiovascular diseases, hepatic disease and even cancer. So you have lots of reasons to incorporate it into your meals.
I combined cabbage with turmeric to enhance the healing properties of this meal. Turmeric, ginger and garlic make this a powerful anti-inflammatory recipe that can help you reduce your gut inflammation.
What to Eat your Shredded Cabbage Stir Fry With
- We mostly served our stir fried shredded cabbage with either chapati, a loaf of bread or a traditional meal.
- You can use chapati aka flatbread to make tacos, quesadilla, with the stir fry rolled into the bread.
- Alternatively, serve it with rice, quinoa, or just a loaf of gluten-free bread.
We loved it with bread or chapatis. I've got a gluten-free bread recipe that's easy-to-follow, that I think you will really like.
Make this super simple delicious fried cabbage with tempeh as part of your meal prep, it will store well in your fridge for up to 4 days. You can easily pack it for lunch as well.
It's an easy dinner that you can fix in less than 20 mins if you shred the cabbage in your food processor.
If you are not serving this stir fry cabbage for kids, then just slightly cook it, leaving the cabbage crunchy. Adults are better able to enjoy the fresh crunch in the cabbage, unlike kids.
My dear, I hope this recipe will inspire you into adding cabbage to your menu. Please share it by pinning it.
My thoughts of you, Githu.
You Might Also Like These Low Carb Vegetarian Recipes
- Roasted fennel with mango salsa
- The best & healthiest sweet potato recipe
- Best sweet green peas recipe
- Vegan chunky potato leek soup
- Turmeric mung bean recipe
- Healthy vegetables stir fry recipe
Shredded Cabbage Stir Fry with Tempeh & Tofu
- A food processor
- A sharp knife
- A chopping board
- A large saucepan
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh turmeric root
- 1 thumb fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 3-4 cups cabbage thinly shredded
- pinch of salt
- 250 grams tempeh
- 125 grams tofu (optional)
- 3 medium size tomatoes (diced)
- a small piece of chili pepper (optional)
- a handful of cilantro or fresh herbs of your choice
- Clean the vegetables
- In a saucepan bring the diced onions with oil and stir, cover, and cook for 4 mins on a medium-high heat
- Meanwhile, grate the turmeric, ginger, and garlic
- Add the tempeh with tofu in the onions and stir, cover to cook for 3 mins
- Add the grated mix of garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Stir for a minute
- Bring in thinly shredded cabbage, add salt. Stir and cover to cook for 4 mins
- Now add the tomatoes, gentle mix them evenly with the cabbage
- Cover and cook for 3 mins, we don't want the tomatoes to overcook.
- Cut off the heat, add cilantro, pepper and check for salt
- Just before serving, drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon to add vitamin C.
- Serve this fried cabbage with rice, flatbread, potatoes, etc...
- Thank you so much for being here, please share out this recipe.
- To facilitate your work, use a food processor to shred the cabbage especially if you have pain or tired.
- Use a vegetable grater to grate the turmeric, ginger, and garlic. Note that turmeric will leave the color on the grater.
- Dice the tomatoes in medium sizes, so that they don't give too much juice or overcook
- You can also just toss everything together and cook for 5 mins to have a very crunchy fried cabbage in case you're not serving this recipe for kids.