Make authentic homemade fresh tomato sauce that doesn't need peeling, blanching, or removing the tomato seeds.
Hello dear friend, have you ever wished if you could turn back the hands of time? Some flavors will disappear with the season. I wish you could bottle some of these summery flavors in a jar of tomato sauce.
I know this might a delicate subject to tackle! Are tomatoes pro-inflammatory as they are in the nightshade family? Or can you enjoy the anti-inflammatory properties found in tomatoes?
It really depends from person to person. It's a personal experience that only you can judge. Some people do well, eating tomatoes, while others experience inflammation.
"Nightshades continue to be a topic of debate among health providers. There is no conclusive research that draws the link between nightshade consumption and increased inflammation. In fact, there is strong evidence that shows the anti-inflammatory properties of these plant foods." Colorado State Universite
So if you can tolerate tomatoes, here is a very simple and authentic homemade fresh tomato sauce recipe.
I say authentic because unlike the classic tomato sauce recipes, I added fresh turmeric to increase the healing power of this tomato sauce.
Did you know that you have to cook tomatoes to activate their cancer-fighting antioxidant? Heat increases the lycopene found in tomatoes.
Lycopene which gives the tomatoes their red color is a powerful antioxidant that decreases the risks of cancer and heart diseases.
"These findings suggest that tomato containing diverse anti-inflammatory compounds ameliorates chronic inflammation in obese adipose tissue." ncbi/pmc
Fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, and ginger give this sauce a dynamic of flavors that I hope you'll love as I do.
Enjoy the whole tomato without throwing nutrients found on the skin and the seed. You'll just need a high-speed blender to smooth the sauce.
If, however, you don't have a very high-speed blender, then make sure to dice the tomatoes in small cubes so that the cooked skin will not be a bother as such.
This authentic homemade fresh tomato sauce is versatile, it goes well with cooked pasta, rice, dip your bread in it, or you can add it also in most of your cooking where tomatoes are needs or in replacing creams.
I store this sauce in an air-tight jar up to a week, but you can freeze it or do the canning if you know how to do it. You can check on how Caitlin does her canning for inspiration.
That's pretty much of it, my dear friend, now you can bottle up some sweet memories for colder grey days lol.
With this, I send you my thoughts, wishing the best of time. Take care of yourself.
I love you, Githu.
Get these healthy sauce recipes
- Yummy creamy carrot sauce
- Cauliflower-mango spiced sauce
- Creamy tofu vegan dressing
- How to make homemade applesauce
Authentic homemade fresh tomato sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 turmeric
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 kg ripened tomatoes or more
- pinch of salt
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon
- Clean your veggies and roots spices
- Dice the tomatoes into small cubes
- Mince the onion and garlic, then grate ginger and turmeric
- In a saucepan bring the onions and oil to heat. Cook the onions for about 6 mins
- Add the minced garlic, ginger, and turmeric, then stir for 1 min
- Bring in the tomatoes, stir together, sprinkle with salt, and cover
- Let the tomato simmer for about 20 mins, stirring in between
- Cut off the heat and let the tomatoes cool down
- In the blender, add the basil leaves and the lemon juice, then pour the tomatoes and blend
- You can blend into a smooth sauce or pulse the tomatoes to leave some small tomato chunks
- Taste and add salt if need be, transfer the sauce into an air-tight jar and let it stand till cold, then store in your fridge up to 10 days.
- Otherswise, freeze the sauce.
- Thank you for being here, please share out this recipe
- You can store this sauce in an air-tight jar for up to 10 days, once you open it, consume it within the 3-4 days.
- You can use as many tomatoes as you want, just double the ingredients or so...
- If you don't have a blender you can still cook the tomatoes completely, pressing them with your cooking spoon, then chop the basil leaves. You can also use dry basil, instead.