Even if some fruits are high in simple sugars, the fruit paradox will help you understand how fruits will help you reduce and manage your weight. Learn how to make fruit salads in weight loss diet…
Hi my dear, how have you been doing? Have you seen my new homepage yet? I've been busy behind the scene trying to make it better for you and I hope you do like it...
Do you eat a lot of fruits or are you the kind of limiting one fruit per day or you don't even eat them because you've read or been told that fruits can make you grow fat?
I can eat several fruits on a given day, but I'll agree with you, some fruits are high in simple sugars, and every sugar if taken in high amounts will be stored by the body as fat.
Eating fruits is better, but making a cocktail of fruit salad is much better, and different flavors and textures make a fruit salad taste real good, a dessert not to miss.
I guess all fruits taste awesomely good, and different colors suggest different tastes so the more colors you have in a fruit salad, the better it will taste.
How to make fruit salads that are healthy
We can eventually grow fat if we ate too much sugar!
But there's a fruit paradox, fruits will not make you grow fat and especially when you know how to mix them up!
- Putting in mind that some fruits with high glycemic index are low in calories will help you manage your fruit intake when in weight loss program
- A good example is that of watermelon and cantaloupe melon both fruits have the highest glycemic index among raw fruits, yet they're mostly composed of water and contain fiber, ranking them in low calories fruits group.
- On the other hand, fruits like apples, grapes, pineapples, cherries, fig, banana, etc are high in calories. So consuming less of these will be a good thing.
- Low calories fruits examples are berries especially raspberries, peaches, lemon, coconut, watermelon, oranges, etc... Filling your fruit salads with these low carbs and add some high carb fruits is the ideal.
- When eating a fruit salad, avoid eating a high carbohydrate meal before, this will reduce the amount of sugar intake. A healthy fruit salad can be served as a meal on its own especially in a weight loss diet
- Don't add other sorts of sugar in your fruit salads! Fruits are a source of sugar, no need of adding honey or other sweeteners
But don't be scared about all these, as long as you are eating whole fruits, not canned or fruit juices, your fruit intake will be a healthy choice whatsoever!
This is because the fruits contain fiber and phytonutrients that when in your body they play their protective role in reducing some health issues like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
Fruits contain dietary fiber which promotes satiety. This will reduce further food intake making fruits a good choice for weight management.
Note that the micronutrients that we get from fruits eg, vitamins can help you lose weight. It has been observed in studies that deficiencies in some vitamins like A, C, and E, and minerals like zinc, calcium, and iron are linked to obesity.
Can I eat canned fruits for weight loss
No!... but, yes if...
- Canned fruits are high in sugar as they are packed in syrups
- They have little fiber as mostly their skins have been peeled off
- The canning process depletes the fruits off some vitamins especially vitamin C
- You can eat canned fruits if you can't get your hands on fresh fruits, but in this case, choose canned fruits that are canned in their juice and that no sugar has been added
Fruit salad dressing
- I like adding lemon to our fruit salads and especially on those that oxidize quickly.
- I do also add a cold-pressed olive oil, this is for enhancing vitamin absorption. Fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E & K are easily absorbed in the presence of some fat in the meal.
- However, you should be cautious with oils, ONLY use healthy oils that are cold-pressed whenever possible!
To conclude, how to make fruit salads in weight loss diet resumes to eating fruit without fear, but don't add sugar, honey, etc as fruits are sugar.
When eating a fruit salad, avoid eating a high carbohydrate meal before, this will reduce the amount of sugar intake. A healthy fruit salad can be served as a meal on its own especially in a weight loss diet.
Fruits are anti-obesity when consumed in healthy options like raw, enjoy your fruit salads.
My love to you, Githu.
How to make fruit salad in weight loss diet
- A sharp knife
- A big bowl or a tray
- A melon baller
- 1/2 small size watermelon
- 1 a small melon cantaloupe (whole)
- 1/2 of a small size pineapple
- 3 nectarine or peaches
- 3 well-ripened but firm pears
- 1 ripe but firm banana
- 250 grams strawberries (a handful)
- 1 a handful of well-ripened plums
- 30 grams coconut flesh (just a small piece)
- 250 grams blackberries (a handful)
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- Clean all your fresh fruits
- Cut the big fruits to your desired forms and shapes
- get the melon balls using the melon baller
- You can opt for setting the salad on a tray or cutting everything into a bite size and put in a bowl
- Add fresh basil, preferably use the small leaves
- Pour the fruit salad dressing on the fruits. Mix gently if using a bowl
- Serve immediately
Fruit salad dressing
- Squeeze the lemon, put or in a small jar
- Add the olive oil
- Close the jar and shake to mix well
- I serve this salad as a light dinner, so if you are not eating anything else increase the portions according to the appetite of your family
- I had to freeze my fresh blackberries as they were very ripe when I bought them.
Paradoxical Effects of Fruit on Obesity; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5084020/
Diet Doctor; https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/meal-plans