Updated February 20 2021
Enjoy the most delicious steamed cauliflower out there! This cauliflower recipe is simple and easy to make. Use herbs and pepper to spice up your steamed cauliflower.
Hi hi, how are you doing? Last Tuesday I got my first flu since 2016, and gal, I haven't eaten so much garlic for a while. My immune system is low, I've to boost it with high-vitamin food like this extra delicious cauliflower salad.
A tip for you, if you catch a cold or flu take as much garlic as you can. It's anti-virus.
Now let's talk about this steamed cauliflower. It's tender, spicy, and super yummy. It's really a recipe you should make, it's EXTRA!
There was a time I could just stare at cauliflower in the market and get puzzled!
"how on earth is this thing supposed to be eaten?" I'd ask myself.
Cauliflower isn't one of those veggies you see and you instantly fall in love, you know, those veggies that you just want to know how they look inside, how they taste… kinda they make you become curious lol.
But, you have to eat a real delicious cauliflower dish like these extra delicious steamed cauliflowers to really appreciate them. They're deliciously spicy...
These steamed cauliflowers are a perfect side dish that's simple and very healthy. A cauliflower recipe to make quickly and easily in the evening.
Steaming cauliflower or any other veggie is one of the best ways to maintain the nutrients.
How to steam cauliflower
- Steaming cauliflower remains one of the best ways to cook and maintain a maximum of nutrients.
- You can steam your cauliflower in your microwave, though there are a lot of debates on whether microwaving food is healthy or not...
- The best option then is to use a steaming basket.
- Put a cup of water to boil in a saucepan/ you can use a boiler instead if you've one
- While the water is heating, get the cauliflower florets from the cauliflower head
- Place the steaming basket in the saucepan with heating water
- Put the florets in the steaming basket and cover the saucepan
- Let the water boil at moderate high heat
- Check if the cauliflower florets are cooked by inserting a fork in one of them
- Don't over cook them. Leave them be firm
- Cut off the heat
- Remove the basket with florets from the boiling water and let it cool
If you can't steam your cauliflower in a steaming basket, then boil it in little water and cook them on low heat. Don't discard the cooking water, and even in case of steaming, keep the cooking water for future use, or do as I do, just drink it!
Seasoning your steamed cauliflower
You'll never look at the cauliflower the same way again!
As you might know, cauliflower on its own doesn't sound glamorously delicious. But add some other vegetables like spinach, broccoli, herbs and spices and gal, you have one of the most delicious meals.
Some spices like ginger, turmeric, chili, or even masala, will really make your steamed cauliflower stand out.
In this cauliflower recipe, I used
- three cloves of garlic,
- fresh ginger,
- fennel seeds,
- cumin seeds
- some fresh cilantro leaves
- and green onions (scallions)
These fragrances give the steamed cauliflower a vigorous hot spicy note that you'll fall in love with.
Once the cauliflower has steamed and cooled for a while, add them to the cooked seasoning. Stir them together gently not to break the florets, till all florets are covered with the seasoning.
What to serve with cauliflower?
- This steamed cauliflower can be served as a side dish. With roasted vegetables or baked roasted potatoes.
- If you're consuming fish, this cauliflower would be perfect with salmon.
- You can let this steamed cauliflower cool and serve as an entrée.
- It's a perfect recipe for summer picnics.
Cauliflower healthy benefits
- Cauliflower has a number of reasons why you should love it. It has a high level of Vitamin C, one reason that you should avoid boiling it in a lot of water
- You'll get Vitamin K, Folate, Pantothenic acids, B7, B2, B3, B6, Choline, Magnesium and Phosphorus, Omega 3, among others.
- Glucosinolates are among the phytonutrients that you'll get from cauliflower, like in other cruciferous veggies, glucosinolates have been studied to be cancer-protective.
- Vitamin K and Omega 3 fatty acids in cauliflower will help you in combatting inflammation.
- Cauliflower has antioxidants like rutin, beta-carotene, ferulic acid, quercetin, and kaempferol, lutein, and zeaxanthin that obviously will enhance your health by fighting free radicals.
Eating steamed cauliflower increases the bioavailability of some nutrients and antioxidants. On the other hand, cooking on high heat or boiling in a large amount of water will destroy the water-soluble vitamins C and B vitamins.
Ideally, buy fresh cauliflower. Frozen tend to have a lot of water and might not hold well in this cauliflower recipe.
You've to try this steamed cauliflower!
Thank you for being here, please do share this cauliflower recipe.
With love, Githu.
More cauliflower recipes
Extra delicious steamed cauliflower
- steaming basket
- Chopping board
- wooden spoon
- 1 head of small cauliflower
- 2 cups boiling water
- pinch of salt
seasoning herbs & spices
- 1 tablespoon fennel and cumin seeds
- 1 small piece fresh turmeric
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium scallions (green onions)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chives diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves you can add more
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard seeds sauce
- 1 piece of fresh chilli
- pinch of salt
- Bring water to boil. if you have a boiler if not in a saucepan.
- Clean and cut your cauliflower into medium or small florets.
- Place a basket steamer into a saucepan with heating water
- Place the florets into your steamer.
- Cover and steam at medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Check on your cauliflower by inserting a fork in one of the florets
- Don't over cook them, they should remain firm
- Cut off the heat, remove the steaming basket with florets from the water
- Let them cool before manipulating them
Cook the seasoning
- During that time, place fennel and cumin seeds in another saucepan and turn on the heat to medium-low.
- Grate or mince the ginger, turmeric and 2 cloves of garlic together
- Dice the onions.
- Bring the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and onions into the saucepan with fennel-cumin seeds.
- Increase the heat to medium-high as you stir everything together.
- Add the oil and stir well, cover to cook
- Cook them as you stir now and then till the onions are fragrant; about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, clean & chop the scallion, the chives, the remaining garlic and get the cilantro leaves.
- Clean and chop the chili, discard the seeds if you don't like it too hot!
- When the onions are cooked, cut the heat,
- Bring the steamed cauliflower into the saucepan with onions, add the rest of the ingredients and stir them together gently not to break the florets, till all florets are covered with the seasoning
- Now set your table, serve and enjoy this extra delicious steamed cauliflower.
- Thank you for sharing this recipe.
- This extra delicious steamed cauliflower can be served as a side dish or a main dish if you're following a low-carb diet.
- As a main dish just make extra!