This celery juice is using kale and swiss chard stems. A way to recycle your vegetable stems while giving yourself a celery juice full of healing nutrients...
Hi my dear, what do you do with your kale and swiss chard stems?
It's both kale's and swiss chard's season here in France, and after cooking a lot of swiss chards greens and eating kale salad like this easy kale salad with quinoa, I found my fridge packed with stems!
It happens to be celery season as well. So I thought of adding some kale and chard stems into my celery juice.
Initially, I was just juicing celery alone.
Swiss chard stems are full of water, and so is celery, both giving you a celery juice that will really hydrate your body, flushing out toxins at the same time.
If do you eat kale, you probably know that kale stems are bitter.
Chard stems are bland in terms of flavor, I find they kind dilute celery's strong flavor and breakdown the kale stem's bitterness.
So here we go, you make this celery juice as we dig deeper into what you are getting, are you in?
Celery juice health benefits
This celery juice recipe with kale and swiss chard stems has a lot to offer you. It's a cancer-fighting juice, with anti-inflammatory, and anti-diabetic properties, as it is composed of various phytonutrients that will help your body.
- Celery is very high in vitamin K responsible for blood clotting and bone growth in your body.
- It's packed with other vitamins and minerals like molybdenum, folate, vitamin A, potassium, etc.
- Celery's anti-inflammatory components protect against inflammation.
- In addition to vitamin C, celery has flavonoids and other antioxidants like phenolic that have been shown to reduce oxidative damage of cells.
- Celery can help lower blood pressure.
- People who have taken celery juice for more than 2 weeks testify that they saw improvement in their digestion.
- Swiss chard stems are high in potassium.
- Studies done on swiss chard show that it's high in vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6.
- They are also a good source of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, nitrates, etc...
- In Turkey, swiss chards are used in traditional medicine as anti-diabetic
- Kale is high in vitamins A, C, and K.
- It's packed with antioxidants.
- It's an anti-inflammatory green leaf vegetable that also can detoxify the body.
Celery and weight loss
- Scientifically, there isn't any study showing any relationship between the consumption of celery juice and weight loss.*
- However, I did drink celery juice last year (2019) for about 2 weeks and I noticed a tremendous weight loss.
- Testimonies of those who drink a glass of celery juice every morning attest to having lost weight.
- Celery juice can improve the function of the digestive tract by working as a natural laxative, which may lead to weight loss.
- As celery juice is very low in calories and filling if you take a huge glass of it, this can help to reduce your calorie intake in the morning and, by doing so, you lose weight.
I don't add any fruit to this celery juice, you might find it bland in case you are just beginning with celery juice. Add some sugary veggies like carrots or fruits like apples to add some sweetness.
How to store celery
- Store your celery stalks in the fridge for up to 7 days in a freezer bag.
- Note that there will be a loss of some antioxidants if you store your celery for more than a week.
- Don't chop your celery before using it. This will result in the loss and deterioration of some flavonoids.
There, I've tackled almost everything, now it's your turn to tell me how you find this celery juice in the comments here below. I hope you'll recycle your stems from here on...
Talk to you soon, kiss. And before you leave, please do share this recipe, thank you.
I love you, Githu.
Get some more healthy juices
Celery juice recipe with kale and swiss chard stems
- A Juicer or a high-speed blender
- some celery stalks
- some swiss chard stems
- some kale stems
- Clean the stems and celery stalks
- Pass them into your juicer
- If using a blender, Chop the stems into pieces together with celery stalks
- Put them in your blender, add some water and blend, then add more water to have a jucice
- Sieve the juice to remove the fibrous residue
- Enjoy your celery juice.
- Thank you for commenting and sharing this recipe
- For health benefits, it's better to drink your juice right away, otherwise, some antioxidants like vitamin C will be lost with time.
- There isn't any given amount of stalks and stems to use. go with what you have.
- If you don't have or don't like celery, you can substitute it with cucumbers.