This vegan, spicy healthy sweet potato stew is all you need to enjoy a hearty and warm delicious meal.
Hi, my dear friend, want a sweet potato stew that calls for very simple and easy to find ingredients that you might even have in your pantry?
Spicy sweet potato stew is easy & simple to make, for a busy day or when you're too tired to cook an elaborated cuisine.
I cooked this hearty recipe with fresh turmeric, ginger, and fennel seeds to make it a super anti-inflammatory meal.
If you're getting sweet potatoes from your garden, or direct from an organic farm, you don't need to peel off the skin.
Sweet potato's skin has a lot of fiber, and since most of the antioxidants are concentrated on the skin, you should eat it.
For this recipe, I used fresh tomatoes, but you can opt for canned as well as canned beans. Opt for those without salt so that you can control the amount of sodium you're eating.
Choose frozen spinach if you don't get fresh ones. In this case, you'll add them thawed with sweet potatoes, and let them simmer.
Why you'll love this sweet potato stew
1- What you'll love about this recipe beside it being super healthy and deliciously spicy is that you can make it as meal prep and have it for 3-4 days.
2- Besides being an anti-inflammatory recipe, this meal has proteins, fiber, fat, and healthy carbs.
It's a meal on its own if you're following a weight loss diet.
3- It's simple, easy and with basic ingrédients.
Please, do follow step by step photos, they'll help you to make this spicy healthy sweet potato stew.
If you can't chop the sweet potato, steam or bake it alone then add it in the stew.
You can also purse your onions in your blender or use your food processor in case of pain.
Enjoy this spicy sweet potato stew and I do thank you for sharing it.
I wish you a lovely time, let's heal with each meal…
My love to you, Githu.
This kale sweet potato salad is very healthy and filling
Spicy healthy sweet potato stew
- A large pan
- 1 tsp Indian curry powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp dry basil
- a small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric
- 2 medium size onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato
- pinch of salt
- 1 kg well ripe tomatoes (about 6 medium sizes)
- 600 gm drained canned beans= 1 can of 800g (without sugar and if possible without salt)
- a pile of fresh spinach (you can also use thawed spinach)
- red pepper (optional)
- Place a large pan on a low heat and put fennel seeds, dry basil, and curry then cover the pan
- Mincer the garlic, turmeric, and ginger, add them in the pan, increase the heat to medium and cover the pan as you dice the onions
- Bring the onions in the pan and stir everything together, add oil and stir again. Bring the heat to medium-high. Cover the pan, cook these for about 5 mins, keep stirring now and then
- During that time dice the sweet potato into bite-size pieces
- Add them into the onions, stir and cover to cook for 8 mins, stir now and then
- The time you dice your tomatoes and hot pepper
- Now put the tomatoes and pepper in the pan stir well and cover, let these simmer for about 7 mins
- Add drained beans and fresh spinach, cover for 3 mins just to warm up the beans
- Stir delicately and cut the heat, cover OR cook for extra 8 mins to let the spinach cook if you're serving kids
- Let it cool a bit then serve when still hot.
- I hope you'll love this sweet potato stew, thank you for sharing it. Be blessed.