Enjoy this delicious roasted butternut squash with berries for a healthy and perfect weight loss breakfast.
My dear friend, it's essential to break your fast (breakfast) with a healthy meal like quinoa breakfast to fuel your body with nutrients that will feed your cells for optimal energy for the day.
It's even more important when you are looking to lose some weight! The choice of your breakfast and meal, in general, should be chosen in a way that can help you burn more energy while leaving you satiated like this weight loss kale smoothie.
I know you might not have thought of eating butternut squash for your breakfast yet, but this roasted butternut weight loss breakfast is super simple and delicious, packed with nutrients to feed your cells and gut microbiome.
I showed you how to roast whole butternut squash. Now it's time to use it in this weight loss breakfast. This breakfast is vegan, sugar-free and, gluten-free, offering you a super healthy meal to kickstart your day with lots of nutrients.
A perfect weight loss breakfast
A perfect weight loss breakfast should be high in dietary fiber, low in sugar, have protein, and deliver ample nutrients to your body.
This vegan butternut squash recipe is perfect to start your day without feeling heavy.
I chose ingredients that can help your body lose weight if you consume them regularly;
- Cinnamon is associated with many health benefits, and one of them is burning calories.
- Cinnamon lowers blood sugar in the blood thus, increasing insulin sensitivity.
- According to some studies, cinnamon positively affects obesity, and it was concluded that regular consumption of cinnamon can reduce body weight and waist circumference.
- Cardamom is an Indian spice that has been used as medicine for many centuries.
- In laboratory studies, cardamom supplementation was found to prevents fat accumulation in the body.
- Ginger is in use for many years as a spice and herbal remedy.
- Some human studies report that zingerone and shogaols (which are chemical compounds) found in ginger can help in burning fat.
- It has been reported that regular consumption of ginger has the potential in managing obesity.
- Berries and other anthocyanin-rich treatments in a study have prevented weight gain in rodents.
- Eating berries frequently was shown to increase both fat burn and insulin resistance in obese men.
- Berries are low in Glycemic Index (they don't increase sugar in the blood) making them the perfect fruits to use in a weight loss diet.
Butternut squash calories
- Butternut squash is a source of dietary fiber, healthy calories, minerals, and other nutrients. The number of calories may vary from one butternut to another depending on the weight.
- Being low in fat and calories butternut is a great option for weight loss.
Serving portion 100grams (g). Information available in FoodData Central
Butternut is a good source of potassium and calcium.
What you need to make this weight loss breakfast
- This weight loss breakfast with roasted butternut squash is using an already roasted butternut for a quick workflow in the morning.
- I use fresh berries but you can use frozen fruits. Leave them in a closed container at night in your fridge (not freezer) for them to thaw, if not, you can slightly cook them in the morning.
- You can use kiwi if in season or replace it with a low glycemic fruit.
- I blend cinnamon sticks with cardamom in my blender then I sift to get a fin powder. This way, the aroma is preserved, and you get all the potential benefits of these spices.
- When roasting the whole butternut, make sure not to overcook it for this breakfast recipe.
- The roasted butternut squash should be well cooked but firm.
- If you want an oil-free weight loss breakfast, then opt for a non-stick pan to pan-roast the butternut squash.
- Use kitchen tongs to turn the butternut slices.
- Pan-roast the butternut on moderately high heat and let them brown before turning
- Use Ceylon cinnamon, rather than cassia as it's soft and will blend easily in your blender. It is also healthier than cassia cinnamon
- This weight loss breakfast is best while warm.
I hope you'll enjoy this weight loss breakfast as I do. Please do share and leave me a comment here below.
I love you, Githu.
Find here more weight loss breakfast
- Sweet quinoa breakfast
- Toasted overnight oats with mango
- Healthy millet breakfast with peaches
- Zucchini oatmeal breakfast smoothie
- Wonderful breakfast of black rice with raspberries
- Fooddata central
A weight loss breakfast with roasted butternut squash
- Heavy-based pan
- mesh strainer
- kitchen tongs
- A sharp chef's knife
- A chopping board
- A cooking spoon
- 1 small Already roasted whole butternut squash
- 3 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
- 5 green cardamom
- a piece of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ tablespoon cold pressed coconut/olive oil
- pinch of salt
- dust of black pepper
- a handful of fresh blueberries
- a handful of fresh raspberries
- 1 kiwi riped but firm
- 100 grams yogurt (plant-based) for me
- Break cinnamon sticks into chunks. In your blender, blend the cinnamon and cardamom.
- Using a vegetable grater, grate nutmeg into powder on a bowl
- Sift the blended cinnamon and cardamom using a mesh strainer then mix it with grated nutmeg and ginger powder. Store in an air-tight jar. Prepare this mix the day before.
- In a heavy-based pan, bring the spices and heat for 1 or 2 minutes, on a moderate-high heat
- During that time, slice butternut squash in circles avoiding the seeded part
- Add oil and salt to the spices, mix well using a wooden spoon
- Place the roasted butternut slices on the spices and pan-roast them
- Pan-roast each side for about 3-4 minutes till golden, turning them with kitchen tongs
- Meanwhile, clean the fruits. Peel the kiwi, and slice it into circles
- Sprinkle on the pan-roasted butternut with the cinnamon-cardamom mix, salt, and black pepper
- Add some cinnamon blend in the yogurt and whisk together
- Let the pan-roasted butternut cool a bit before serving
- In a plate, place the butternut then add fruits and yogurt
- If you want to add some sweetener, opt for maple or agave syrup
- Enjoy your roasted butternut breakfast. Thank you for sharing this recipe and leave a review
- I don't peel my butternut, but be free to do so before serving. The skin helps to hold the roasted butternut in place.
- The cinnamon blend will be more than you need, store the rest in an air-tight jar and use it within a month. The aromas are destroyed with time.
- Ideally, prepare the spices the day before as well as whole roasted butternut squash
- If using frozen fruits, thaw them before serving by heating them a bit
- This weight loss breakfast is low in carbohydrates, so make sure to eat enough to avoid snacking later in the morning